THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I like it, It looks much better.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Lucidstillness
As far as I can tell, patterns are a necessary evil with one tile textures. After all, any one texture tile, no matter how seemingly irregular, is going to have visible patterns when it is repeated often enough. What most RPGs do to avoid this problem, and what I plan to do as well, is to break up the tiles with other tiles as much as possible to create a more natural affect.

Another thing you can do is create a 2x2 tile (or bigger) repeating texture. A lot of floor and wall tiles I find are like this, especially in RMXP where you can have an unlimited number of tiles per tileset. This is obviously a lot more work though, and your grass looks perfectly fine as it is. I would probably only use it for irregular surfaces, like dilapidated walls or root-covered ground.
Thanks Chana!

...LockeZ, you're brilliant. I can't believe I didn't think of that, especially since all my wall tiles are along those lines.

Well, actually, I suppose the reason it didn't come up is because I never had large open areas before. The 'Barren Lands' are coming up though (don't ask), so that trick is definitely something I'll try there. Thanks!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence

This is a WIP; I already know about the trees.

Finished and actually in-engine this time.

I like it! The ingame screenshot has really nice atmosphere. Are the graphics all custom?
I love it, Max! Is it some kind of Survival Horror? It sort of gives that vibe.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I thought you were never starting a new game ever again, that you'd finish Journeyman and Mageduel and then be done, forever, adios?

And if that's for the cutscene contest, why are you trying to get Ace for free if you will NEVER START A NEW GAME EVER SO HELP ME GOD?

Just wondering. You were pretty clear on the matter, so!
@Lucidstillness: I am working on fixing the ground tiles, but as far as the clashing in resolution and such... Well, I should be able to fix it by making a standard size, but please realize that the actual size of the files I am dealing with to make them any decent size in rmvx will have to have a bit of a clash. I'll see if they will look better if they are all the same size as either the monk or the vampire biker...
Example of the original size:

See?
Here is my attempt to fix the floor, but is still seems to be off to me...

This is master Karl, a retcon of a older villain who has been changed from a massive almighty demon, into a disco god, complete with a "Dev" fairy assistant whom helps correct reality. Ironically enough, the powers of God in this dimensional mess runs off of how much money you have in the bank, and thus you are to go and collect money for the insidious Master Karl.
Note the walls are indeed from castlevania as well, but I really do not like these that much. If I could get someone willing to make walls for me in the style of my stone walls, I would be able to speed up, but I'll do my best as I can XD.
@Max: I try my hardest to come up with original ideas, no matter how bizarre they actually are. XD Trust me, that sentence is relatively tame compared to how wild this project is going to be; It has been a long time since I made a game just out of fun instead of trying to tell a multilayered story.
skew your floor so that it's parallel to both walls
author=facesforce
...an older villain who has been changed from a massive almighty demon, into a disco god...

Marry me.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
author=Max McGee
This is a WIP; I already know about the trees.

Finished and actually in-engine this time.

Stepping up your game Max?
author=geodude
skew your floor so that it's parallel to both walls

Ah, I see what you mean. Alright, I'll try that then...

XD I am to young to get married.
Max McGee
author=Adon237
Stepping up your game Max?

In a world where graphics are everything, then I guess so?

I thought you were never starting a new game ever again, that you'd finish Journeyman and Mageduel and then be done, forever, adios?

And if that's for the cutscene contest, why are you trying to get Ace for free if you will NEVER START A NEW GAME EVER SO HELP ME GOD?

Just wondering. You were pretty clear on the matter, so!

This isn't technically speaking a new game. Unrelated: Backstage 2 is actually the number one thing I want to finish before I'm done forever. Finishing MDX and Journeyman would be really nice (I have every intention of doing both), but Backstage 2 is the unfinished business I must complete so as to cease haunting this place like a g-g-ghost.

I love it, Max! Is it some kind of Survival Horror? It sort of gives that vibe.

Thanks! It was actually just an exercise in learning a new mapping technique. : )
Well, the result is amazing. I really like it. Keep up the good work.

Here are some new screens from my project, that OMIGOSH, got accepted today! (For the people that would want to check it out: A Path Of Darkness, even though I need to make the page look nice.)

Default battle system, but with a spin ;)

And the Continent where the action is centered in the first parts of the game:

Ambaril Continent(Click to view enlarged)

Damn, that's one big map! Is the entire game set on that one continent?
So far, yeah. But there are another 3 (known) continents.
Max McGee
Large, in your DBS screenshot I think the bear should be bigger so as to be more bear-like and intimidating.

(Bears are fucking scary.)
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Large, do you have any other biomes in your world map chipset? The entire thing is the same temperate grasslands/forest separated by mountains, and it's a bit overwhelming. It might help to categorize the different areas with some snow, desert, wasteland, etc.
That one seems to be too cute, right? The thing is, I want to avoid the "HUGE monster, tiny character" trope that is so popular, like here:

I'd be fucking terrified if a bulldog that size showed up on my front porch, is what I'm saying.

I'll see what I can do, though

EDIT: @harmonic: Yes, there is variety, the towns have not completely been added, roads are far from done, etc.
Max McGee
Yeah, I meant like, while keeping the RTP-style proportions, if possible. I didn't mean make all of your monsters gigantic FF-style graphics. : )