THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Minnow
Haven't touched the trees or grass yet but do the windows look better now?

Also, any opinions on the scale of the character? I know that it's a little big compared to the houses but I can't seem to get it to look right if I make it smaller. Could the sprites work at this size or is it too jarring?
A+ job on the windows.
Fat chibi sprite is perfectly fine. It only looks big compared to the houses because the houses are the size of tool sheds.
Fair point :p

I'll try to make them bigger. I just don't want them to take up the whole screen at 2x. Thanks for the feedback!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Finished almost all the elements for my first "level"! (It's really just a kind of intro.)

I may still go back and rearrange some of the sprites, but I think it serves its purpose of being a plain ol' subway station. With a puppy.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Minnow

I'll try to make them bigger. I just don't want them to take up the whole screen at 2x. Thanks for the feedback!

It wasn't a complaint, just an observation. The character, street, trees, sign, and the windows/doors/chimneys of the houses are all to the same scale and match each-other. The actual size of the houses is comically small, but if you're going for a cartoony feel then it's perfectly fine.

author=Sooz
Finished almost all the elements for my first "level"! (It's really just a kind of intro.)

This looks better every time you post it. I love your non-chibi sprites, but I'm worried they're too small for the size of other things on the map. Just making the bricks in the wall be about 1/4 the size they are now would go a long way toward fixing this illusion. I mean, I guess the objects almost all match the people in scale, it's just the wall and floor tiles that make everything else look tiny. Each of those bricks is the size of a person, as is the exit sign.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=LockeZ
This looks better every time you post it. I love your non-chibi sprites, but I'm worried they're too small for the size of other things on the map. Just making the bricks in the wall be about 1/4 the size they are now would go a long way toward fixing this illusion. I mean, I guess the objects almost all match the people in scale, it's just the wall and floor tiles that make everything else look tiny. Each of those bricks is the size of a person, as is the exit sign.

That is certainly a thing. I'll see about scaling things all proper-like.

(This is what I get for doing the tileset before the sprites! orz)
author=Schwer-von-Begriff
<image>

Question: Does it look okay, the way the name is represented on the far left even though Hisao's portrait is on the right?

Yes that looks fine, except I would erase the gap between the text and the name. There seems to be an extra line break there.
Decided to take a couple. There's nothing too special in here, I think.

A raft the heroes find themselves on early on in the story. Complete with slow screen shaking.

Your first "dungeon". A nice little forest to get you warmed up. Complete with oversized slimes and goblins having a little camp out too close to close for anyone's comfort.

Oh this slime monster doesn't look too stro- Oh...That's not good.

@Aegix_Drakan: Cool mechanic, reminds me of the Ooze in Guild Wars. Is that a one time thing or does it keep dividing? And do the divided slimes start with full hp, or a fraction of the original?

@Topic: Got my Cooking System done, well except for the background, though I might leave that as is, if I fail to "draw" a good alternative.
author=Lihinel
@Aegix_Drakan: Cool mechanic, reminds me of the Ooze in Guild Wars. Is that a one time thing or does it keep dividing? And do the divided slimes start with full hp, or a fraction of the original?

The River Slime divides every time a physical attack it attempted against it.

When it divides, it does 10 damage to itself, and basically spawns a weaker slime monster called a Droplet, or revives a droplet that was previously slain.

Once 5 are on the field, no more new droplets are spawned. :P

It's a bit hard at the start of the game, but it's an optional side quest, and it's VERY possible to win. You just need to play smart.
author=Lihinel
@Topic: Got my Cooking System done, well except for the background, though I might leave that as is, if I fail to "draw" a good alternative.
If the player will be cooking A LOT of food items, you might want to consider some kind of quick cook option. Or at least, be able to put multiple of the same ingredients to have multiple food items come out. That's fun to do a few dozen times, but after a few hundred times it will be a pain in the ass.

author=Minnow

I wouldn't worry about making them bigger. LockeZ always tells people that houses should be to scale with everything. You have the right idea, you don't want a house to take up too much of the screen. You might consider making houses look more unique though. Door on the right, no window on the front, more different colors. Rather than just a different roof.
LockeZ
I'm totally fine with tiny chibi cartoon houses. It looks adorable. Some people make houses that are like 70% as big outside as they are inside and that annoys me, but what Minnow did looks perfectly fine. It was just an observation, not a complaint.
Sooz
Having realistically-sized houses would get annoying really quick, since it'd take forever to get anywhere.

I figure the smaller-looking houses should be OK, since they're pretty much just symbols. So long as the interior looks like it's about the same shape and all, it's fine IMO.
@Link_2112: I am still considering making a kind of cookbook as a quickselection option. Thing is, there will be A LOT of cooking, but NOT a lot of the same item. The NPCs only give points for a single item once. The main challenge is getting many differnt ingredients hidden around the game world, as quest rewards, drops and so on.
author=Sooz
*Pretty picture*

That's a really nice map! I love all the little people, they're so full of personality. Do they actually move or is this kind of a static scene?

One thing bothers me, though, and is that everything looks a bit flat. You can barely tell the walls from the floor, and at first glance I thought those stairs where a closed store or something... I think you could improve the 'readability' of this scene by playing with the colors and the contrast a little. For example, you don't really need to look at those tracks, do you? Then obscure that entire area. Likewise, add a subtle gradient to the bottom part of the wall; this will help to "frame" the platform so the focus is on the people. And as for the stairs, I think they need to be mostly in darkness. Again, place the transition near the bottom, to aid the illusion of depth.

If you're not working with too strict a palette and if you think this is worth your trouble, give it a try. You may actually like the result. =P
Sooz
They're mostly static; the kid runs around the mom, and some people turn their heads to look when you talk to them, but that's it. It's a really short "level," pretty much just a prologue for the actual gameplay, so not much to it beyond establishing a "reality" to contrast with the weird stuff later on.

I've been working with the colors while implementing LockeZ's suggestions. Some of the revisions are looking less flat (to me) now, but I'll see if some of your suggestions can't help it even more. :D
author=Sooz
They're mostly static; the kid runs around the mom, and some people turn their heads to look when you talk to them, but that's it. It's a really short "level," pretty much just a prologue for the actual gameplay, so not much to it beyond establishing a "reality" to contrast with the weird stuff later on.

I've been working with the colors while implementing LockeZ's suggestions. Some of the revisions are looking less flat (to me) now, but I'll see if some of your suggestions can't help it even more. :D

Try a different pattern for the floor. It's very similar to the walls.
Sooz
author=Link_2112
Try a different pattern for the floor. It's very similar to the walls.

Already implemented, but thanks for the advice!

I think you should use the shift key for those tiles on the top left, under the waterfall. No one else mentioned this, though, so I might be wrong. :P

This is an entrance for an artificial underground, um, what's the word? Cave? Dungeon? It was made for a TV show. Each of those gate leads to a different trial.
It feels a little empty now, so I'm not sure what I should add. I hope there isn't anything awkward? :D
@Mr_Detective you could add some rocks in the sand, or maybe the cliffs/mountain shape more unique instead of rectangle'd

Working on a battle result screen for GTBS. Feels a little empty atm. Might change the text into images and add in a Rank system. Maybe amount of time the battle took, if I can figure that out.

Almost done with all the systems! Then I go to work on actual content + sprites. Also for game submission, little confused on what screenshots are needed to get accepted. Considering my game will mainly be menus + dialog + tactical battle.
Menus, dialog, and tactical battle will make fine screenshots.
I'm looking forward to what you put forth >:3