WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

'drama' is such a weird word. there are things that should be argued about, and I don't really get why people act like that's something unreasonable.

granted, though, it does make the thread a bit crowded.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=mawk
before you start pretending to yourself that I only care about this to be argumentative, that I don't really give a shit, think about why that's convenient to you. think about why, now, you fall back on the 'it's mawk being mawk, mawk is never serious about anything' card

I just wanted to say that this was not my assumption, but also that I don't mind people arguing about things just because they think they're interesting topics. I mean, that's mostly what I was doing, honestly. What I meant by "mawk being mawk" was just that you have a way of speaking that antagonizes the other person, and I can never tell whether you're doing it with some agenda, or because you just enjoy seeing people get angry, or if that's how you respond when you yourself are angry, or if that's just how you like to talk sometimes. In context I was just trying to say that I wasn't sure if you were intentionally trying to have a fight or not, but obviously this was extremely unclear, I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your motives.

I still would like to know what you see as the difference between retardation and low intelligence, since as far as I am aware, and as far as I can tell after spending another half an hour or so today researching it, the definition of retardation is when someone is so unintelligent that they have trouble functioning in multiple ways, causing it to be classified as a type of mental disease. I learned that it's no longer defined by a certain IQ score, though I personally would call that a recognition of the limitations of the IQ test, rather than an indication that retardation is defined as something other than low intelligence. I may be completely ignorant of something important here on account of having different life experiences from you, in which case I'm sorry.
author=TungerManU
What's this, my kittens weren't enough to stop the Drama Core?

Don't stop the Drama Core, you fool! It powers the site!

e: @LockeZ: I don't think he's talking about the definition of "retarded". He's talking about the usage of it as an insult. It gets used against more than just the intellectually disabled, but on others like Autistics, those with Asperger's, etc.

I'm also going to retract an earlier statement I made: Thinking about it, I highly doubt "intellectually disabled" will become an insult like retard, idiot, moron, etc did. Its just too much of a mouthful to drop in casual conversation. Worst-case scenario it ends up like Asperger's where the people afflicted with it come up with a shortened version ("aspie") and it gets highjacked as an insult by others.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=turkeyDawg
author=TungerManU
What's this, my kittens weren't enough to stop the Drama Core?
Don't stop the Drama Core, you fool! It powers the site!

Choo choo!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah, when used as an insult, it is an exaggeration. You are calling someone extremely dumb who is not really that dumb. You're just saying they are dumber than they really are because that's more insulting. That's how most insults work. You latch onto a negative aspect of someone and take it to the extreme. If you weren't exaggerating the negative aspects of someone or something, it wouldn't actually be an insult, it would just be the truth.

When used as an insult, all parties involved realize you don't literally mean that the person you're calling retarded has poor mental development preventing it from adapting its behavior to various situations, probably with an IQ below about 70. What you really just mean is that they don't know something they should have known, or they didn't realize something they should have realized. Retardation is the exaggerated form of that.

Calling an inanimate object "retarded" makes less sense, but I guess that due to evolving language it's become kind of a generic insult meaning something more like "largely non-functional or useless." Which actually makes "retarded" an anti-exaggeration when used in that way, since most retarded people are not that bad? Weird. Thinking about it, if I were to call my broken microwave retarded, it would actually be a compliment. To the microwave, at least. Insulting to retarded people. They're not as bad as the microwave. They'd have to be in a completely vegetative state, and also leak radiation if you tried to talk to them.
It's a lot like calling inanimate objects gay. They don't have a sexuality so they really can't be homosexual and yet, it's used to insult, meaning feminine in nature (which is like, uh, why the fuck is that insulting at all to anyone who is in any way mature? Only dick-headed macho-fucks think being feminine is a bad thing, right? And those who are afraid to be seen as not-manly, I guess. Why is being like a woman - thus, not manly - bad again?)

Some insults are just ridiculous and should be phased out. I mean, there are so many better words out there that could work instead. Fuckhead, for example. Nice, unisex insult right there.
I like 'chump', 'chucklefuck', and 'schmendrick' lately. they're all just really, really fun to say.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I am so glad I went to bed when I did. I'd have a real headache otherwise. As for nobody being able to take on mawk, you absolutely failed to discredit me in any way, shape, or form, though not for lack of trying.

The only reason I held back was because I had some misplaced respect for you, but I thought about it last night: that's done. You've never earned my respect and you've certainly never offered me any. Every comment you've ever made to me has been an insult, and I've responded each time, politely, except for this thread.

Well, I know the writing on the wall. I really should have told you to step the fuck off a long time ago.

Now, the next time you feel the urge to respond to anything I say; please, by all means, feel free not to. It'll save us both a headache.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
itt: mawk finds it difficult to discuss how to refer to the addled, with the addled
itt someone I don't even remember or care about declares a blood feud

e: also c'mon, Louis, not cool. the fact that they've been awful about this situation isn't carte blanche to fall back on exactly the same kind of insult this whole discussion's been about. don't rely on lazy tactics!
I missed you mawk. Welcome back!
Mawk can you please compose a list which points out which people are nerds or wannabe debators on this site?

i just wanna know I f i should get up and leave for being lessiner than you or somehting
probably leave, yeah.

e: like, no, seriously, if your petulant-ass fallback at this point is 'mawk thinks he's better than me', you haven't listened to a damn word.

'yo please don't be shitty to vulnerable people'

'FINE then what if I just LEAVE huh how ABOUT that'
@LockeZ: You seem to be forgetting that people with legitimate disorders or impairments get called "retard". Its not always an exaggeration -- just as often its rubbing it in to be a jackass. Sometimes its even their own frustrated parents doing this.

author=LockeZ
If you weren't exaggerating the negative aspects of someone or something, it wouldn't actually be an insult, it would just be the truth.

There's two things to consider here: "its not what you say, but how you say it", and "tact".

If you go up to some guy and be all "hey mister, you sure are fat!", its rude, even if its true. In fact, even if you just casually mention it in a completely unoffensive manner, it can still trouble them. If someone has to listen to "fatty fatty two-by-four, can't get through the kitchen door!" or whatever on a regular basis, then they will come to associate the word with the jeers and terrible feelings etc. Is it logical to do this? No, but no one ever said people were logical.

Basically, if a word gets used as an insult, setting it up as a "bad thing", then the people it literally applies to can feel anywhere between ashamed to dehumanized, even if you're not directly talking to them. Some words (like "fat") are pretty much impossible to avoid, but "retarded" is easily substituted.
Now this site is like Facebook and Youtube.

edit: GRS xD
author=Link_2112
Now this site is like Facebook and Youtube.

Don't be silly, there isn't nearly enough Stormfront users here to be either
LouisCyphre
When deriding something, use terms that don't implicate a generalized group of people as being contemptible.

I'm not sure how this could be phrased any more clearly, really. There shouldn't be much discussion beyond that point.
I still don't see why you assume everyone who uses low intelligence as term means to demean someone. Among many many other things not worth bothering with.

Anyhow, you are suggesting we abondon these terms completely and use chump and other non-specific terms instead to solve the problem? I doubt that does the trick, but that's at least a clear message.
LouisCyphre
author=Kylaila
you are suggesting we abondon these terms completely and use chump and other non-specific terms instead

Yes.