[MAFIA] RMN: WHEN THEY CRY (TEA PARTY)

Welcome to AREMENのく頃に, a Mafia game pitting our venerable House Aremen, opulent and imperial, against the supernatural forces of the Golden Witch! ...or maybe the not so supernatural forces of a more conventional serial killer. You must find the truth.

Here is the current family tree of House Aremen:

The date is October 4th, 1984. The head of the Aremen family, Kenton A. Aremen, has called a family meeting of great importance. Kenton Aremen is a very old (and very "eccentric") man whose health is failing, and it's rumored that at this meeting he will finally announce which of his three very greedy (and very disappointing) children will be the new head of the house on his death... and more importantly, he will finally announce what will become of the Aremen fortune. While Kenton made his money in indie games, he always tells a tall tale about how the seed money came from a mysterious person calling themselves the Golden Witch... but then again, there's a reason they call Kenton Aremen a lunatic.

The three adult children of Kenton travel to the great Aremen Manor on the morning of the 4th, taking the ferry to the island estate. The locals on the mainland keep muttering something about a brewing hurricane but surely that's irrelevant and not ominous foreshadowing. While the adults are arguing inheritance, the servants preparing dinner, and the grandchildren playing cards, a scream comes from the upper floors of the manor. As the family charges down the hall, the head butler yells from down the stairs:

"Come quick! Kenton Aremen is dead!"

The hell is Mafia?
Mafia is a forum game of informed minority (the Mafia) vs an uninformed majority (the Town). Each player is secretly assigned a team at the start of the game. Play starts in "day" phase, where town discusses who's likely to be mafia and votes against them, while the mafia tries to direct suspicion elsewhere. Then during "night" phase, the thread is closed and mafia discuss privately who to murder at night. Play alternates between these two phases until either town wins by catching all the mafia, or the mafia wins by outnumbering town.

- Each player gets a single vote to use during the day that they may change as many times as they wish to vote for any player
- Vote with eg #lynch OzzyTheOne, and if you change your mind you can #cancel and vote for someone else later
- When a majority of players are voting for an certain player, the day ends immediately (hammer rule) and that player is "lynched," removed from the game
- If at the end of a day no player has a majority of votes, the day ends without a lynch
- We'll start with 48 hour days and 24 hour nights and go from there -- I'll provide countdown clocks always
- This is a closed setup -- any power roles are not known beforehand (but I can at least guarantee there's no sideswapping)

The hell is an Umineko?
Umineko: When They Cry is a series of indie murder mystery VNs, and also an incomprehensible murder mystery anime. You don't need to be familiar with it to play and can instead watch this educational video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvdVkP5iAE

(you can think of it as a family drama murder mystery that's heavily implied to be caused by the supernatural, the job of the protagonist is to figure out a human culprit across multiple variations of the same powderkeg-crazy-family-death-island setup. This is mostly accomplished by coming up with a hypothesis only to have it disproven by the Witch, the supposed supernatural culprit)
(umineko is a seagull)

Rules lawyering fine print
Do not:
- Edit your posts
- Be dishonest in interactions with the moderator
- Contact any player in or outside of the game about the game unless specifically allowed by your role, and when allowed, only do so in the specific manner allowed
- Do anything that would be considered cheating
- Quote PMs for the moderator or take a screen capture of it (paraphrasing is fine)
- Analyze the mechanics of a PMs for the moderator in comparison to other players, eg, "the fourth word of my role PM is 'town,'" or "my PM was sent at 11:23, when was yours?"
- Talk about the game outside of the topic
- Sabotage your own side, even if your teammates are morons
- Use cryptography
- Use steganography (eg small or invisible text to attempt to avoid detection)
- Use confirmed randomness

Do:
- Post actively, at least once per 24hrs and preferably a lot more (you are signing up to /play/ the game, not watch it, okay?)
- Let the moderator know if you won't be around

Any violations of these are liable to get you modkilled

Players
demonlord5000 - Aremen Protector, killed night 5
LockeZ - Aremen Lover, killed night 3
Gourd_Clae - Aremen Gunner, killed day 1
Cap_H - Witch Protector, alive at the game's conclusion
Jeroen_Sol - Aremen Gunner, alive at the game's conclusion
Yellow Magic - Aremen Gunner, killed day 5
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK - Aremen Protector, killed night 2
pianotm - Aremen Lover, killed night 3
ESBY - Aremen Detective, killed night 2
OzzyTheOne - Witch Roleblocker, killed day 3
TungerManU - Aremen Tracker, found to have been dead the whole time on night 2 (modkill)
Muffle - Aremen Paranoiac, killed day 4

Sign me up, doc!

To sign up, just post that you're interested. If you'd like to claim a specific spot in the family, you can do that too ("I want to be a grandkid/butler/cavedog's-husband") and I'll put you on the family tree. Any sort of servant flavor is fine and the stuff there now is just an example. Note this doesn't have any affect on the in-game role you'll get, but it will affect the flavor text at the beginning and end of each day. You can also request a stupid middle name like "battoru" or something. No experience required, new players welcome.

Also, the game will be balanced to accommodate however many people sign up -- there's no hard upper bound so even if things look full (or empty) should be good to go.
I'll go ahead and get this started by signing up. I'll go ahead and request being the eldest child as well since that's a thing.

I am also a firm believer of a well known cliche: the butler did it. Tread careful he who would claim said role.

Anyways jokes aside, should be an interesting game.
i know this one, the culprit was a duo of twin bunny girls who use a bow to shoot a heat seeking arrow from the other side of the mansion
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Count me ingo, Domingo.
I've leanred nothing from the educational video but I have a sneaking suspcicion that I wan't meant to learn anything. Maybe there's nothing to learn. That's okay too.

Sign me up heck yeah!! I wanna be... the middle child.

Edit: I also appreciate in the OP we're marrying cave and lynching ozzy. The way things should be for sure.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
please, punish me and make me a maid.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Heck yes Umineko! I'll be the eldest grandchild, son of the middle child.

Isn't that right, Gourd-Eva-Kasan, LockeZ-Hideyoshi-Tosan?

I just realized that son of the middle child can also be Battler. In which case... "IT'S ALL USELESS!"
Welp, we now have our questionably-functional family, hope you can accept this responsibility LockeZ.

@Gourd: While no it's not very educational, no, the only functional "short" description of Umineko is that it's a series of very mechanically tight closed-room murders, then with increasingly over the top drama and alternate-supernatural-version of things heaped on top. It shouldn't affect anything to the point where someone gets killed for mistaking "Gardner" for "a gardener" though.
author=Jeroen_Sol
Heck yes Umineko! I'll be the eldest grandchild, son of the middle child.

Isn't that right, Gourd-Eva-Kasan, LockeZ-Hideyoshi-Tosan?

I just realized that son of the middle child can also be Battler. In which case... "IT'S ALL USELESS!"

My child, my sweet child

oh god LockeZ is not a good match for me. The sex must be amazing.... I accept my new husband either way XD
I came in knowing next to nothing about umineko as well. I'm sure all of us are familiar with some form of murder mystery even if it isn't that particular one though. On the plus side, we won't be tempted to guess at things based on the actual series which could only lead to disaster!

I also expected lockez to be the physician, but that ship has sailed now.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
........Goddammit, sign me up
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
I am signing up.
Damn I didn't think Dr. LockeZ, oh well, updated, at least now this will round out the cousins.

I'll probably ping some regulars on discord tomorrow to drum up people.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I...

I...

I...

I...shall.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
i can be obnoxious
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Sign me in as the youngest son! THE FROTUNE WILL BE MINE, KAKAKAKAKA
Cool, I'm sure you will use the witch's gold to craft a beautiful future for your child, cavedog. Being a single father is a tough job. Also welcome to ESBY as the very uninvited dinnerguest.

Would like to have at least one more person but will kick things off in ~24 hours to avoid dragging on forever.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
I'm looking forward to calling Cave my useless son in every post I make once the game starts.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Cave is hereby court ordered to end all of his posts with Uu-uu~