GAME PET PEEVES

X + Y% certainly doesn't sound like a bad idea to keep items useful when you get them and not fade into complete obscurity. Especially when you get exponential HP growth (Healing time with tonics in FF6! It'll only take 40 of them to heal 2000 HP!)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=139034
In In Praise of Peace and Diablocide I do what Liberty does: x + y% healing. Good early-game, becomes less useful as healing skills become available (and the really good ones purposefully come later than usual in an RPG).

To Arms! does this as well with all healing items. There is a flat rate plus a percent. This includes MP restorative items and the local phoenix-down equivalent.

%-based potions are fine if the % are all above 50% (at least).

Every game is different, but a 25% heal is going to be more useful than a "100 Pt." heal in a lot of games, at least ones where your HP changes significantly over time.
post=138951
post=138946
MOG, do you ever frequent anywhere that isn't an RM forum?
Yeah. I visit GameFaqs boards for every game I own (a lot),

I knew I seen you somewhere before.

Anyways, I also have percentage based healing in my game and is functions similar to WoW's healing spells. Big healing spells/items takes awhile to cast/prepare but heals alot while the smaller healing ones are usually faster, but takes more of your resources to do.

My biggest pet peeve are uninteresting and annoying characters. Jupis (Rogue Galaxy) and the Loli (Star Ocean 4) are fairly good examples from commercial games.
My biggest pet peeve are uninteresting and annoying characters. Jupis (Rogue Galaxy) and the Loli (Star Ocean 4) are fairly good examples from commercial games.

You know it's not really nice to make fun of me, kaaaay... I'm going to go summon some demons, kaaay...?

It's like Mr. Mackey's satanic bastard child.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Difficulty levels are an amazing idea. My game, Vindication, uses them to great benefit.

No, you won't ever play a game and think, "Man, this would be better if it had multiple difficulty levels." But I am sure you have played plenty of games and thought either, "Man, this would be better if it were easier" or "Man, this would be better if it were harder."

For instance, most commercial RPGs are absurdly easy and the only way you can really die is by not understanding basic aspects of the game. When was the last time you died twice to the same boss in a Square Enix game? Or died at all in a random battle in one?

Meanwhile, I know a lot of people who refuse to play Shin Megami Tensei/Persona games because they are too hard. Same with Fire Emblem. But I know a couple people who wish they were harder.

The popularity of FF7 runs with absurd artifical limiters on the player's power (no materia, no items, no equipment, level 1, Cloud only, Final Destination) is strong evidence that I'm not just talking out of my ass, and a lot of people really do wish games were more challenging. But a lot of others are happy with them the way they are. So the only way to appease both groups is to have both options!

I recommend calling easy mode "normal mode" and calling hard mode "nightmare mode" so that the 90% of people who play on the easier setting don't feel like pussies for doing so.

And, just to stay on the original topic... one of my pet peeves is when you have a choice of party members, but they're all nearly the same gameplay-wise. If you're going to let me customize my characters any way I want, the party selection is pointless. Give the choices real differences, please. I like meaningful choices.
My game pet peeve is calling SMT games hard when 90% of the difficulty comes from withholding the player information or surprises that cannot be reacted to
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Meaningful choices are nice but regardless of gameplay value I always just use who I think looks the coolest. Also, it works for most of the game in FFX/FFXII because they're not the same up until the end, and by then you're really glad you have a fallback party. While Xenosaga III is one of my top-five favorite games, it's balanced for three characters to beat each boss... when there are seven characters in the game (that can be swapped, although it costs a turn and the swapee must be alive).
post=139628
My game pet peeve is calling SMT games hard when 90% of the difficulty comes from withholding the player information or surprises that cannot be reacted to

This is so true it hurts.
Max McGee
SMT has been insulted.

I am shocked that Chaos and Craze are not already raping someone to death.

O.O
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
No, it's pretty accurate. The appeal is preparing for any eventuality by creating a team that can deal with such things!

(Along with using THE VOICE OF GOD, SHIVA, and THOR to PUNCH GOD YHVH THE GREAT WILL'S FACE IN.)
post=139671
No, it's pretty accurate. The appeal is preparing for any eventuality by creating a team that can deal with such things!...

It's about as appealing as using dice to order things off of an Arby's menu. Everyone loses.
post=139689
post=139671
No, it's pretty accurate. The appeal is preparing for any eventuality by creating a team that can deal with such things!...
It's about as appealing as using dice to order things off of an Arby's menu. Everyone loses.
Not Arby's, they still get your cash no matter what. =|
Max McGee
I really like Arby's.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I hate when games cling to dated mechanics to make their game seem more "old school." Serious offenders include: not being fully healed at save points, party members not receiving EXP if they're KOed, and party members not receiving EXP if they're not in the party. These mechanics do nothing but annoy the player. It's an artificial way of boosting the difficulty and it does nothing but piss me off.
Craze
post=139654
SMT has been insulted.

I am shocked that Chaos and Craze are not already raping someone to death.

O.O

I don't really love SMT games. I've played Persona 2/4 and Strange Journey but that's it.
post=140130
I hate when games cling to dated mechanics to make their game seem more "old school." Serious offenders include: not being fully healed at save points, party members not receiving EXP if they're KOed, and party members not receiving EXP if they're not in the party. These mechanics do nothing but annoy the player. It's an artificial way of boosting the difficulty and it does nothing but piss me off.

For you, maybe. Subjectiveness.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
post=140137
post=140130
For you, maybe. Subjectiveness.

Well, this thread is about personal pet peeves...they're subjective by nature.
I'LL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE
Craze
post=140141
I'LL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE

*INTO OBLIVION