GAME PET PEEVES

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=138867
Takes a fair bit of work, though. I'll pass.

class Game_Enemy
alias diff_maxhp maxhp
def maxhp
n = diff_maxhp
n *= 0.75 if $game_switches[5] # Easy mode
n *= 1.25 if $game_switches[6] # Hard mode
return n
end
You should always append "unless $@" to all aliases to prevent the recursion error RGSS has after a F12. It isn't necessary for all aliases but it's easier to add it to everything than to determine which aliases will break RGSS. :eng101:

Proper game balance and difficulty levels don't replace each other.
Craze
Yeah, you can't have difficulty levels effectively by just altering HP; I was just showing how incredibly easy it would be in VX.

Also, game balance is good. Providing extra incentive for a replay or making the game enjoyable for somebody who wants to experience the game world/story and not have to deal with ubertactics (re: my friends who like wRPGs for the experience and turn the difficulty down all the way possible) isn't bad, though (and I am not saying you were saying that)!
post=138886
post=138867
Takes a fair bit of work, though. I'll pass.

class Game_Enemy
alias diff_maxhp maxhp
def maxhp
n = diff_maxhp
n *= 0.75 if $game_switches[5] # Easy mode
n *= 1.25 if $game_switches[6] # Hard mode
return n
end

Ah, I totally forgot Chrononology of the Last Era was made in VX! Man, all of those weeks working on the game and I don't even know what program I'm making it in! You're so smart, Craze!
Harder difficulty should have the enemies kicking your ass, not making the game tedious.
Craze
MOG: I wasn't assuming that you were being egocentric! I guess I should. In any case, I am talking about games as a whole, not Chronology.

GRS: 'Tis why chaos and I are making difficulty levels affect enemy AI levels (in terms of Yanfly's AI script) universally instead of just "increase HP and damage done."
post=138904
MOG: I wasn't assuming that you were being egocentric! I guess I should. In any case, I am talking about games as a whole, not Chronology.

I'm not being egocentric in a bad way. When I said that making difficulty levels was too much work for me, I meant it in the most literal way possible, it's too much work for me relative to my current project. I do plan on dabbling with the newer makers, but even then, difficulty levels mean absolutely nothing to me as a developer or player, so I still won't bother. It's just not something I care about! It might sound ridiculous at first glance, but that's all what we're here for, to make things that we care about, that reflects on our preferences as game players, and is worth our time.
Or you could just design a game with a good difficulty curve instead of duct-taping poor balance away with difficulty tiers.
WolfCoder has it right: RPGs, by their nature of a progressive game (ie- stats increase, skillsets expand, etc...), inherently have an EASY, MODERATE and HARD mode. The start is EASY, middle game MODERATE and endgame HARD. If you have to decouple the difficulty from the game then ur doin it wrong. imho.

EDIT: ha! WolfCoder just reiterated what he said.
But what about the gamer that wants it to round out at hard, and the gamer that wants it to go all the way to EXTREME HARDCOAR!!!!?!?!? It's not so much altering the whole game, in my eyes, but making sure story people can breeze through the gameplay for the plot, and so that gameplay nuts have something to enjoy. And of course, a middle route for those of us who have taste in RPG's, just sayin.
Craze
...kentona

you do realize that you play Diablo II on hardcore right
So only static games should have difficulty levels?

Most games (try to) have the easy->medium->hard difficulty curve. The first areas have weak mooks while the player learns the controls and the basics. Later on when the player knows what they are capable of the game starts pushing the player to develop their skills and strategies. Then there's the final area where the player use all their skill to take out the most difficult enemies so far. This curve only works for new players where they are learning the game in the beginning. Anyone that has played the game or even a similar genre game is just going to get bored when the can pass the controller to the cat and have it curbstomp everything in the early game. With difficulty levels a player can choose to push up the challenge to make the early game more interesting and the late game demand a higher level of skill. Alternatively players that know they aren't good at the genre can turn down the difficulty so they can play the game at their own pace even if it destroys the challenge.

Let the player have fun at their own level.
Craze
Thank you for saying what I was eventually going to post, GRS, except in a coherent and not-Crazerage way.

I beat Dragon Age yesterday; I'm now replaying it on Hard to give it a bit more bite (not that it needed it, in my case). Replayability+!
Right; not all gamers necessarily want a gradual increase, especially on replays. Some players want it to start hard and stay that way; some want the opposite; some prefer a middle ground.

Both the NES Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy IX follow the rising difficulty method, but would you ever say they were anywhere NEAR the same difficulty? No, and neither game really presents itself to all sides of the gaming spectrum. Different players will want different things, so why not include choices? And even in rm2k/3 it really boils down to turning a switch on and making another copy of the boss with higher AI and stuff, it's not like you have to make two separate copies of the game.
Craze
A common way I see it done in 2k3 (ew) is to give characters different classes based on the difficulty level; lower difficulties get less HP/ATK/etc. Obviously doesn't work with a class-based game, butttt that's the suck in the fuck.
post=138914
WolfCoder has it right: RPGs, by their nature of a progressive game (ie- stats increase, skillsets expand, etc...), inherently have an EASY, MODERATE and HARD mode. The start is EASY, middle game MODERATE and endgame HARD. If you have to decouple the difficulty from the game then ur doin it wrong. imho.

Woah I will challenge you to this and explain why that's exactly the reason rpgs should have difficulty modes!!!!!!

Any game that has a large emphasis on numbers probably should have difficulty levels. This is because there are so many variations of hidden numbers that the person playing has to deal with, especially in RPGs. Weapons, armor, health, etc are all numbers, so there's going to be huge difference in these depending on how a person plays the game. It's also very easy to implement difficulty since you're primarily dealing with numbers.

Compare this to a game like Mario, which doesn't have numbers, and is exactly why there are no difficulty modes in Mario. It would be absolutely ridiculous for Nintendo to go and make an easy mode/hard mode for every single level in their game. It wouldn't work because of how the game is structured, there aren't any number variations in the game.

I wouldn't say you need difficulty levels, but it's nice to have them. And some games have so many variables (oh hey rpgs) that come into play that it's only natural that they have these options.
All good points. But I am trying to think of any traditional RPGs that I've played that implemented difficulty levels, or would have been better with them. (Diablo II is a hack n' slash action game with RPG elements).

Difficulty levels just feel so....artificial.
Craze
That's because you live in the distant, archaic past.