GAME PET PEEVES

post=138624
Why would I want to stop playing some of my favorite games?

I don't know!
Ah, sorry, misread. I missed the part about 'your game'.
I mean, I know what you're saying. There are plenty of games that I love and I don't give a shit about the story within. However, I wouldn't expect those games to cater to that. A 'skip cutscene' button? Sure. A 'skip story entirely' button? Not so much.
What's your definition of a 'skip story entirely' button? To me a 'skip cutscene' and 'skip story' are almost synonymous; Skipping all the cutscenes comes down to skipping the story.
Yeah, and that's where the line blurs. Skipping cutscenes IS skipping a major part of the story, but it can have practical applications when it comes to replaying a game or cutting to a boss fight you previously lost to. When I think of 'skipping story' however, I think of a player wanting to skip all NPCs, plot related exposition, and...everything.

Like, 'cutscenes' are a relatively new thing for games. Back in the day, the plotline for games was interwoven in the actual game, miss one, and you'll miss the other as well.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
if your game is going to have slow-ass text, at least let me push the 'accept button' or whatever to make it all display, or offer text speed options.

also 'message is displaying' sound effects piss me off, with a few minor exceptions. when i have to hear the same damn clicking or chirping noise play every time a letter displays, it gets pretty fucking annoying.
post=138589
... I don't need to walk around like a tortoise to force me to like your sceneries.

And rollerskating is fun.

I'm not talking about scenery or anything, I was explaining that your map scaling should reflect the speed at which the player can move unless you really walk like you're wading through jello. Using RPG Maker as a standard, it's OK to use the speed lower than normal if your maps are of relevant size. I used this size because I tend to make small maps and I stumble around at normal speeds.

Outside of RPG Maker, it's much harder to tweak. I constantly keep deciding the mean movement speed for events. If it's too fast, you lose control and if its too slow, it gets annoying.

post=138658
if your game is going to have slow-ass text, at least let me push the 'accept button' or whatever to make it all display, or offer text speed options.

also 'message is displaying' sound effects piss me off, with a few minor exceptions. when i have to hear the same damn clicking or chirping noise play every time a letter displays, it gets pretty fucking annoying.

There was this one NES game where the text was extremely slow (literally 0.5 seconds per letter) and it almost sounded like a gunshot per letter. And there were several blocks of dialog in the scene.

As for text I just have two customizable settings, normal and instant.
My only pet peeve is fan based games, I don't like them, DONT LIKE THEM, DO NOT LIKE THE PARTAKING OF THEM!!! You're given a tool to build video games, why the hell would you waste time making a game based on another game? It's not original, and I've never played nor will I ever play the unoriginal hordes of a million plus Final Fantasy fan based games in existence.

Don't flame me, I'm just speaking my mind here. Let me be clear, Hellion is cool and others based like it because it's not a Dragon Warrior fan based. So it can be graphically from a NES or SNES game, it just can't be based storywise off that game.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Don't flame me, I'm just speaking my mind here. Let me be clear, Hellion is cool and others based like it because it's not a Dragon Warrior fan based. So it can be graphically from a NES or SNES game, it just can't be based storywise off that game.

Hellion's story is exactly Diablo's.
Feldschlacht 4
Yeah, and that's where the line blurs. Skipping cutscenes IS skipping a major part of the story, but it can have practical applications when it comes to replaying a game or cutting to a boss fight you previously lost to. When I think of 'skipping story' however, I think of a player wanting to skip all NPCs, plot related exposition, and...everything.

Like, 'cutscenes' are a relatively new thing for games. Back in the day, the plotline for games was interwoven in the actual game, miss one, and you'll miss the other as well.

I see what you mean and I've never thought of a button that would skip all that (but so far it's not positively). I like skip cutscene for the reasons you mentioned (if a new cutscene gets bad I just start skipping text but I usually won't skip it on the chance something important happens) but you never really skip gameplay (no HL2 cutscenes aren't gameplay, they're just 'jump on heads and hit things with the crowbar while words are happening' moments). I think a safe definition for a skippable cutscene is one where the player could mash X or A or whatever and have no impact on the story and it's longer than, say, thrity seconds. The shorter or gameplay-integrated story should avoid that.

Slow text

l
i
t
t
l
e

m
o
n
e
y
l
i
t
t
l
e

m
o
n
e
y

This is an particularly amazing case because it's still slow when sped up to 8x on an emulator
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I do not like games that are Beloved Rapture.
l
i
t
t
l
e

m
o
n
e
y

Oh this, I've always wondered why that phrase was over-emphasized in FFT. I could grab a coffee while waiting for it to write LITTLE MONEY like a 5 year old and a speak n' spell.
post=138666
My only pet peeve is fan based games, I don't like them, DONT LIKE THEM, DO NOT LIKE THE PARTAKING OF THEM!!! You're given a tool to build video games, why the hell would you waste time making a game based on another game? It's not original, and I've never played nor will I ever play the unoriginal hordes of a million plus Final Fantasy fan based games in existence.

Well, to be fair, unless you're directly remaking a game, there's still an amount of creativity needed in making a fan game. Especially if, like mine, it only uses atmospheric elements from an established franchise with a new story, new characters, new world, etc.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=138693
This had to be made

One of the things I hated the most about Final Fantasy Tactics. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!
post=138594
Walking from point A and point B is part of the experience (Keep in mind I'm not trying to defend lower walk speed, and I don't think anyone else is either), and so is reading story text (which is half the point of an RPG so what the eff are you talking about its a 'waste of time').

Sure, I agree that exploring and story text can be important. But people like different things about games. If someone doesn't care about the story of the game but does care about the other parts, then having unskippable story text is wasting his\her time. Take someone replaying the game for example. If the storyline is the same every time then they would probably want to move onto interactive sections.
post=138594
Seriously I mean, I can understand wanting to not overdo the point A/B transition, but if, in my game anyway, you consider reading the story text a waste of time you might as well turn the game off and do something else.

If the story is the only good part of your game I might agree.

I don't think a skip entire story button is necessary. I just think giving the player options (like skipping text, teleporting to old locations in a large world, and easy mode to get by combat quicker) makes for a better game.
Sure, I agree that exploring and story text can be important. But people like different things about games.

Sure, but there's a point where a creator should say (after making accommodations to a certain point) "Look man, just play another game." Like, there are some parts of Xenogears that bore me to tears, but I don't think the option of skipping it would have made the overall experience any better (not saying I didn't enjoy the game overall, it's one of my favorites)

Honestly, this really isn't an issue for most players and most games to the point where a creator of a game, professional or otherwise assumes a 'text skip' option is mandatory. Text skip? Easy mode? Just play the game as intended, and if you don't like it, play another one! All of this stuff to accommodate disinterested players is just more work for the creator.

Seriously, are players this lazy/picky these days!? I can see why kentona just sticks to the older stuff.
Seriously, are players this lazy/picky these days!?

According to the attitudes these days of the commercial game companies, yes. According to the attitudes of modern gamers, yes. I'm talking about the kind that wouldn't play a game because it's not in 3D. Those people.

I've already talked about how Bioshock was just me going Jihad on everything since you'd just respawn without anything even resetting (but your health of course). Sure it's mildly annoying to have to walk a few feet back to where you were, but that's about it. I don't know what's with its popularity, that alone kind of took a lot of rush and fun out of the game since I stopped being adrenaline-pumped quickly.

I want to be seriously sparked and furious as I actually struggle to survive in a game and/or kick ass knowing it wasn't easy. I actually want to hear people talk and because of all this new hardware these days I actually do stop and take in the sights. I haven't played too many old PC games as I was a console gamer back in the golden age of games (could be from atari to ps1, really) but from what I hear games were more dense even if they had primitive graphics (especially RPGs).

If you've got a DVDs worth of space and an entire budget and team with you, why actively decide to make a watered-down game when you could easily keep rocking out like you used to? I just don't get it.