GAME PET PEEVES

post=138705
FFT was full of laughs.

The funny part is when I first played the game all those years ago I was literally expecting this nonexistent brother to show up somewhere afterwards.
It's like the game itself doesn't even care enough to remember his name. I.. Actually don't either, was his name Zalbag or something?
Zalbag is the guy with the sword out, he's supposed to be a powerful figure but actually sucks horribly in the only fight he appears in.

This topic is now about poor translations.
post=138709
It's like the game itself doesn't even care enough to remember his name. I.. Actually don't either, was his name Zalbag or something?

Zalbag is the middle brother, Dycedarg is the oldest. That's mistranslation, not just awkward phrasing.
(The objective is actually to down Dycedarg.)
"This is the way!"

Zalbag is the middle brother, Dycedarg is the oldest. That's mistranslation, not just awkward phrasing.

With all the weird dialog in the game I'm not surprised I lost the story's characters, other than the errors though it was still a decent story. Just makes me want to play the original Japanese version.
The PSP translation clears things up pretty well. That is if you can get through the mind numbing slowdown.
post=138719
The PSP translation clears things up pretty well. That is if you can get through the mind numbing slowdown.

They go through the trouble of adding characters, and animating cutscenes; but couldn't be assed to fix near game breaking slowdowns in combat.
The best part is running PS1 FFT runs at full speed. Only PSP FFT has slowdown when performing super technique like 'Throw Stone'

*edit*
For clarity, this is running PS1 FFT on the PSP
And the PSP has like a 222Mhz processor which is well over the original PS1, AAAAND I just read it has a media coprocessor (I think lots of the effects were micro-movies that played over the original scene). The PS1 had some MIPS 33Mhz CPU in it.

Come on, I don't even write this slow of a code when I'm half asleep and letting my dog type.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=138715
post=138709
(The objective is actually to down Dycedarg.)

This is correct. It should say something like "Defeat Dycedarq, YOUR elder brother".

But it is a blind idiot translation so, yeah.

Apparently this topic is now about FFT.
Speaking of the psp remake, they fixed that
l
i
t
t
l
e

m
o
n
e
y
thing. clearly they knew it was an issue, but didn't bother to fix the slow downs on visual effects that tinted the screen. shame really, I tried to love that remake. It had so many redeeming qualities. Even they realized they shot themselves in the foot when they released the ps1 FFT on the psn.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=138702
Sure, I agree that exploring and story text can be important. But people like different things about games.
Sure, but there's a point where a creator should say (after making accommodations to a certain point) "Look man, just play another game." Like, there are some parts of Xenogears that bore me to tears, but I don't think the option of skipping it would have made the overall experience any better (not saying I didn't enjoy the game overall, it's one of my favorites)

Honestly, this really isn't an issue for most players and most games to the point where a creator of a game, professional or otherwise assumes a 'text skip' option is mandatory. Text skip? Easy mode? Just play the game as intended, and if you don't like it, play another one! All of this stuff to accommodate disinterested players is just more work for the creator.

Seriously, are players this lazy/picky these days!? I can see why kentona just sticks to the older stuff.

Easy mode means that 1) new players can pick up your game and enjoy it, and 2) you can still make the "real" game difficult/entertaining/whatever. There is no reason NOT to add an easy mode to most games, and very little reason to not add a hard mode. Replays, player ability, testing a genre... difficulty modes are important.
Takes a fair bit of work, though. I'll pass. Gamers have been going on long enough in RPGs without it and I've never seen anyone ask for it outside of...you and like, 3 other people. I'll just take the blow to my CREDIBILITY.

I mean honestly I don't buy the first point because outside of the absolute hardest RPGs, any moron can pick it up and learn to play. Fuck, my grandmother caught on to the general gist of Final Fantasy.
I personally just don't have these. The beginning of your game should be easy and informative. It should teach the player things in a proper order and still be fun. That's the easy mode, it should get harder and harder as you play. They've got to BEAT the game fair and square in the hard mode at the end. Also a fun thing to do is let the player make the end easier by giving them good stuff in return for doing side quests (FF6 anyone?).
Seriously, are players this lazy/picky these days!? I can see why kentona just sticks to the older stuff.

Sticking to the older stuff is pretty lazy!
No it's not, games were effen harder!
Sticking to the older stuff is pretty lazy!

Not if it works for you and your audience. It's all subjective. It's video games, not political ideology; everyone's entitled to stick to whatever mantra they want as long as they enjoy it.
What. I think the original statement was lost.

edit: Oh I treated as if Mog was comparing the new school gamer to the old school gamer but then I realized kentona doesn't play games anymore. But from the designer standpoint, not having to reinvent the wheel and not making next gen graphix is pretty lazy, but not bad as you get to spend time actually making the game good (which isn't lazy). But yeah whatever works for people.