GAME PET PEEVES

Bcuz I know what the fuck I'm doing!

I do understand what you're saying, though. A lot of crossover games look really awful, but I haven't seen that many which actually saw completion.

Perhaps that's a good thing.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Slow walk speed can also be funny if the dungeon is an LSD trip.
If you have Locke, Tintin, Batman and Kenshiro in your party, then crossover isn't a problem.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=138431
If you have Locke, Tintin, Batman and Kenshiro in your party, then crossover isn't a problem.

Don't forget the obligatory enemies: Kefka and the Joker.

*edit* Damnit #t doesn't work with youtube embeds. Skip to 1m:00s */edit*

*reedit* Apparently neither do newlines!*/reedit*

Emphasis on "Don't waste my time". This extends to stupid installers (simple archives are 'drop into appropriate folder, play' which is quicker and better in every way than installers), slow movement, tedious interfaces, menial middleman tasks, and fight-a-wall game mechanics.

I also play every game in the editor so if I feel like it I cheat or whatever. Protection takes a minute to bypass so I'm not a fan of it either but I can see why people put that in there unlike installers.
great now you got me rewatching plinkett
Another thing, I hate it when there's almost nothing to do for the first half of the game but be dragged along by the balls from plot point to plot point. Side areas to explore, side-questin', mini-gamin', I just need SOMETHING to do besides move from point A to point B. I can forgive this one more easily as it's sort of a curse of the genre, but there are ways around it, and it really helps prevent things from getting tedious.
Along with the slow type speed, I hate it when they add an annoying sound as it type...

Is that really neccesary? I know I can just turn off the volume, but I get lonely without any noise :(
It's OK to use the slower walking speed in RPG Maker if your maps are scaled as small. I hated the normal walking speed because my maps tend to be small, but it wasn't a problem since you only had to take a few steps anywhere. Well, not a few steps but they are small.

If you're not willing to give my game enough attention where you want to skip everything and zoom all the way through on rollerskates, then that's simply a sign of a failed game you just want to get over.
post=138538
If you're not willing to give my game enough attention where you want to skip everything and zoom all the way through on rollerskates, then that's simply a sign of a failed game you just want to get over.

It's less this and more the fact that moving around just isn't exciting and anything that minimizes the time spent on it is more time spent at your destinations, the places where things happen.

Edit: If I want to spend the extra time admiring the maps I can just stop manually
post=138554
post=138538
It's less this and more the fact that moving around just isn't exciting and anything that minimizes the time spent on it is more time spent at your destinations, the places where things happen.

Eh. Some of my favorite RPGs were ones where it was 'the journey AND the destination' that made them great. That's no excuse for slow as molasses movement speed, but I can see what WolfCoder means. Games for me aren't about just teleporting from one destination to the next; it's about the overall quest and having fun every step of the way.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Agree with the above.

In almost all (non-RPG) commerical videogames, I always find myself wishin the overall pace was slower so I could enjoy the experience more.
I definitely agree with the sentiment that the journey should also be fun, not just the destinations. However, making the move speed slower than default will not make the journey any more enjoyable for me. How much I enjoy the experience depends on how much there is to enjoy to begin with. For example, if the game has nice environments, I will look at them. If the game has dull environments it can't make me enjoy them by slowing down.

I don't think most players will look around if you make them move slower anyway. Rather they will keep their eyes focused on whatever edge of the screen they are moving at. Our brain are wired to look at whatever we consider interesting. If we see something off the path that looks interesting we look there. If not, we keep our eye at where we're moving since that's where something new will appear.
Yeah I don't remember being forced to go to the next map at gun point.
post=138538

Or it could be that the 'game' sections (ie. puzzles, battles, quests) are interesting and the player doesn't want to waste time on 'nongame' parts like walking from point A to point B or reading story text.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=138585
post=138538
This.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
I like moving fast. I could always just stop to see the scenery if I wanted to. People have different goals and different tastes when playing a game. I might not really care for your environments but might really like taking on quests, you can't assume everyone will play the game for the same reasons. And if I do care for the environments, I can just stop for a sec and look around. I don't need to walk around like a tortoise to force me to like your sceneries.

And rollerskating is fun.
post=138585
post=138538
Or it could be that the 'game' sections (ie. puzzles, battles, quests) are interesting and the player doesn't want to waste time on 'nongame' parts like walking from point A to point B or reading story text.

Walking from point A and point B is part of the experience (Keep in mind I'm not trying to defend lower walk speed, and I don't think anyone else is either), and so is reading story text (which is half the point of an RPG so what the eff are you talking about its a 'waste of time').

Seriously I mean, I can understand wanting to not overdo the point A/B transition, but if, in my game anyway, you consider reading the story text a waste of time you might as well turn the game off and do something else.

Why would I want to stop playing some of my favorite games?