SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

author=Frogge
author=Arcmagik
Let's Play is this Frogge's vaporware or will it be completed. Up next is the Skinwalker Wolf. Look at those screenshots... bet you want to play a demo or the game. Tune in next month for the final reveal.
one thing people should probably know about me is that I've released one or two demos in my life

and I'm never doing it again

ever

it's completed game or no game.

also man I hope I finish this one also because I'm planning to go commercial with it if I do but to be real eh I kinda doubt I will

???

So you'd rather people look at your pages and than be like "yea it looks cool but there's nothing to play" for years on end than just finding a stopping place somewhere and calling it a demo?

Dude, I can count on about two hands the amount of interesting looking games that are actually completed. But even a demo of something like this or this is better by far than production hell (looks good, no available download, more than three years old).

Demos give people a waypoint. This is useful, because if they cancel (Girl of Dreams for instance), there is a starting point where you can say, well I had something but lost interest. But more often than not, once you do a demo, you start to get into the rhythm of working on the game and you finish it. Kinda like this book said, too many people sit around and wait until they "get in a creative mood" but it's more like pushing through uncreative parts and letting that drive you towards something creative.

Ahem, you could release a Mystic Quest Remastered demo, and people wouldn't believe you've abandoned it. On the other hand, I'm downloading Hollow Project demo cuz it looks cool.

As for me, all of my games are perma-beta cuz I'm constantly feature creeping.

Speaking of which... Gonna try to gif how Geomancy now works. Argh, upload failed...

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=Frogge
one thing people should probably know about me is that I've released one or two demos in my life

ever

my point stands the same. I hate demos. I hate playing them and I hate releasing them. Mystic Quest Remastered is not getting a demo for sure. neither is anything else I make. like i said, it's either completed game or no game.

i also hate seeing news on a game I'm excited about and then finding out that it was just a demo that got released. huge pet peeve of mine.

of course, having no demo means that you may never get to play a game if it gets cancelled, but I personally think that's better than getting into something that's never going to get finished and having to live with the disappointment of that.
I had the same mindset as well but as a player I kind of cherish a lot of old RM demos. Nowadays I make a ton of small jam games but, despite having a conclusion to them it's easy for me to think "well what if I had more time" "what if I had more resources to explore the concept" A demo is kind of arbitrarily labeled as such because it has an unfinished story, but just about every game in existence has a lot of missing stuff developers wish they had did. It's kind of a perception issue with how demos developed within RM culture. Oldschool gaming demos were just try before you buy advertisements, but in amateur communities they're just WIPs to get the hype train and incentives going. Early access without money involved.

Overall though I've spent a lot of time on projects people in the community barely got to see (I'd rarely post screenshots, rarely post videos) mainly cause I thought people should just experience the game for themselves and not promised to. I've concluded it's just better to show off some stuff than not have anything at all. If it gets completed, there's more than enough people to find who's first impressions aren't in a screenshot topic.

so here are some screenshots

I've been working close to full time with this game for some time now. Feeling pretty exhausted, but the finish line for the next version is getting really close...
author=Frogge
author=Frogge

ever

my point stands the same. I hate demos. I hate playing them and I hate releasing them. Mystic Quest Remastered is not getting a demo for sure. neither is anything else I make. like i said, it's either completed game or no game.

i also hate seeing news on a game I'm excited about and then finding out that it was just a demo that got released. huge pet peeve of mine.

of course, having no demo means that you may never get to play a game if it gets cancelled, but I personally think that's better than getting into something that's never going to get finished and having to live with the disappointment of that.

You do know people can name the files, such as "Gar The Unbreakable Part 2 (Demo)" right?

Demos are good for you, particularly if you're thinking of going commercial as you say. Although, I have mixed feelings (more below) I swear by demos in that instance.

Let's put it this way.

I volunteered at the library, giving free computer lessons for my business. Ultimately, they learned everything then never returned, after promising up and down they'd stop by. You can't control people's tendency to be cheapskates. However, some of them may have recommended me because I've recently gotten one semi-reg customer.

If I go to say itch.io and I see your game, and I've never played it, any profit you get is 100% reliant on the screenshots. And I decide it sucked, I will want my money back. I don't like what I see, I and whoever else, are unlikely to pay good money for the game. On the other hand, I played Arafell on the trial mode as a demo, and it was really really awesome. When it went commercial, and more importantly when there was a non-Steam version, I paid however much it took to get my copy. I probably would have paid double, just to get a copy cuz I really liked the game. Now, I've stopped playing it cuz other stuff or maybe I got to a hard spot, but I still won't ask for a refund.

Not having demos also means higher risk of burnout as you keep pushing for that finished version, hit a roadblock and rather than saying "demo now, finish later" you burn out and give up. "It's too long a game, I have better things to do." Maybe 50% of those who try something fail, but 90% of all vaporware remains vaporware. I mean, look at Kingdom Hearts III. That's never coming out, all because Square didn't show a demo version. Some of this is kidding or sarcastic.

But now you have to prove me wrong and finish remastering Mystic Quest Remastered.
Orange: Looks nice, I like the grass texture.

Dunno, trying to practice making more detailed tiles.
@Momeka

The colors remind me of old DOS games.
@Momeka:
1) I can't get over how cute that penguin is. The game looks great!
2) Looks great also! I'm a sucker for worn-down metal panels.

@Darken:
I like the first screenshot, but the second one seems way too roomy. Like you made the map too big and then filled it with huge barrels to mitigate the empty space. I think it could afford to be a bit more claustrophobic. The third screen could be a bit smaller too, I think, or you could add a big centrepiece to tie the room together. Or maybe make it less square? It's pretty much just a big square now, and a cool-ass mirror doesn't fully distract from that. Otherwise everything's got a cool vibe.

@orange-:
Everything under that WAY too powerful overlay looks awesome. I assume it must be some sort of flashback given the dark tone of the rest of the game, but that's too washed out by far.

I released a demo for Evoker and I'm glad I did; I got some great feedback which I worked hard to implement, things I didn't even think about. On the other hand, the current project is so different than the demo that I kind of wish the demo didn't exist. The game wouldn't have been as good without it, though, so... it's all a cycle, maaaaan
@Darken: One thing to watch is some of those big barrels clipping through the wall. They're either really half a barrel or blocking off a side-room (in which case adding a wall to show that there's a half-room transport place might be necessary). Or, well, remove the barrels that cause that issue.

Screenshot of a Dragon Quest fangame I'm working on (that's in very early development):

I'm not sure, some sort of adventure game maybe.
Looking awesome as usual Momeka. Your past two pictures almost tell a story for some reason I find it extremely amusing to see the guard dead in the next picture. Something horrible happened between these two hahaha
author=PepsiOtaku
Snap! New topic!

Transform plugin I'm fiddling around with:
They start out as 8 different monsters and are immediately turned into sheep! I'll make this based on spells next. I also added an escape animation for monsters, so they run in the opposite direction they're facing while they escape instead of just fading out.

I'll finish this game one day... ,;_;,
New world map charsets:

Some new stuff:

Ahahahaha. No, you're not. Cuz I'm gonna give you plugin ideas. Like, ummmm...
  • You could make an update to Mode 7 that works with whatever the current version of DynRpg there is, to auto Mode 7 (I vaguely remember the last one caused stuff to stand up because of pictures, this one uses the DynRpg.ini to set tileset numbers that stand up, and glitches less when you have multiple Mode 7 areas. And other stuff, I dunno)
  • Or while we're at it, the sheep could straight up run like the heroes.
  • Ummm, plus you help me with making MessageExtender2d (it's at 2c, but lacks a \w which would be a map name, \x which would be straight up copy of the Text Plugin using the whole text identifier thing, using previous strings. Ummm, maybe make \u 1 or more to underline (don't like that \u doubles with \t), and 0 to cancel that, \y to bold text (1+ to bold, 0 to cancel), and \z to add a picture as your text background (uses the name instead of a number?). I would do some of this myself, but lately CodeBlocks has been giving me errors even when I just try to compile the test condition_icons and are_you_sure code. Also, some of those things are unlikely that I'd be able to figure out)
  • A Final Fantasy item menu, where they call up items in a mini-menu and you can use that on nearby characters like a switch by working with the Item ID. I think we have Item ID, but the first part of calling mini-menus with exact dupes of your current items currently requires you to code for your actual items with a custom menu.
  • A straight up type textbox that allows you to type anything and stores it into # of hero. Because you can.

Mwahahaha! Now you'll never finish your game. But you'll have a ton of awesome plugins to add to it.
@Momeka:
I'm extremely down with those close-up sections. Very adventure game esque, and you've nailed the detail level well, I think.

@bulma:
You quoted a four year old post by someone who doesn't visit RMN anymore. Somehow, I don't think Pepsi's going to take your ideas to heart.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
the funniest part is that I can't tell if bulma accidentally thought page 1 was the most recent page because he didn't check or if he actually intentionally quoted a 4 year old post

edit:

author=nemojbatkastle
Something I had lying around from one my many aborted attempts from rm2k.
A few pieces were ripped from the mysterious Commander Thule's very excellent ff3 maps, so lots of credit to him.

since we're quoting 4 year old posts, this is a very nice map good job
When I click on Screenshot Survival 20XX it usually takes me to the newest page.

Actually from the post list, last post is "only" five months old. I'm sure Pepsi is gonna get right on it too.

PepsiOtaku is pretty much why I hate the no demo mentality. Like endless plugins, and even a small demo with all that stuff, this game would have been really sweet. High rated game with one episode that nobody but maybe testers can play, loads of plugins, but you can't see how they work well in an actual game. Bleh, it's like being a gigantic tease or something.

On the other hand, I can't really hate Pepsi because I have a crappy computer that failed at Direct Draw (no fullscreens on default settings). OpenGL made my games playable again.

Sword Break test, with a monster that has extremely high weapon break chance. There are three weapon tiers Perfect, Used, and Worn, after which the weapon shatters.

author=Kaempfer
@bulma:You quoted a four year old post by someone who doesn't visit RMN anymore. Somehow, I don't think Pepsi's going to take your ideas to heart.

I just lurk these days... but yeah, 4 year old post, wtf?

Edit: Also, I'm writing an engine now. If I get back into RPG Maker, it will be when EasyRPG is finished.
Yahaha! I found him!

I honestly just opened to the wrong page. =_=;

What's the selling point of EasyRPG? Is it a coding style system (i.e. powerful), or is it more like the RpgMaker with precoded? Show us a screenshot of something you got.

https://easyrpg.org/

This? Ah, so it aims to be compatible with alot of stuff.

experimenting with a titlescreen and a way lower resolution. menu is very simular to nemoral but it gets the job done.