A MONTAGE OF THOUGHTS ABOUT SEVERAL GAMES

post=117581
Man, one of the -best- parts about FF6 was when it totally turned everything around past World of Balance. There're few things in a game (or book, or anything) I love more than giant plot twists that completely shift the game and/or its setting like that. And especially when it makes things become open-ended. Linearity is kinda boring! and anyway, there are still rails, you just get to choose in what order you make the stops on the way to the end of the line~

other: ff5 was fun but very shallow; the mother franchise is one of the best ever; ff7's tinted like fuck by nostalgia goggles; ff8 was very good though, and the only reason i think it's hated compared to other ff games is because it gets unfairly compared to other things. if only more people enjoyed <game, book, movie, album> on its own merit rather than in contrast to <other game, book, movie, album>, i don't think anyone would really hate anything ^^

[tardis][/tardis]

seriously, this embodies my thoughts completely.
On the topic of Final Fantasy games . . .

I was playing FFXII the other day and I got to the part where you visit the viera city in the forest. My girlfriend asked me why I was playing a game where you visited a magical forest full of leggy bunny women in lingerie. I then realized it was basically the Playboy mansion. It's extremely mysoginistic really.
post=117538
I hated the first Wild Arms. Forgot why though, but then again, I hated all of them aside from part 2 (which I thought was excellent). I tried to play part 3 and it was crap so I stopped.

The series is very similar, except for one, which is completely different. I was disgusted when they remade one to me in the same vein as the other games in the series. I thought 2 was really bad (horrible dialogue), and 3 was as good as a game like that could be (Square did the translation for it, FYI).

Wild ARMS one had great 2D graphics. It had puzzles that were a little difficult. It had so many secrets it's not even funny (not even a little funny). The battles were fresh but not overly innovative (for the sake of being innovative). The story was.... well.... alright. It got the job done. The other games didn't have any better of a story at least.
post=117581
Man, one of the -best- parts about FF6 was when it totally turned everything around past World of Balance. There're few things in a game (or book, or anything) I love more than giant plot twists that completely shift the game and/or its setting like that. And especially when it makes things become open-ended. Linearity is kinda boring! and anyway, there are still rails, you just get to choose in what order you make the stops on the way to the end of the line~

other: ff5 was fun but very shallow; the mother franchise is one of the best ever; ff7's tinted like fuck by nostalgia goggles; ff8 was very good though, and the only reason i think it's hated compared to other ff games is because it gets unfairly compared to other things. if only more people enjoyed <game, book, movie, album> on its own merit rather than in contrast to <other game, book, movie, album>, i don't think anyone would really hate anything ^^

marry me
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
For someone who makes RPG's I don't really play a lot of them. I've played a few demos and etc, but haven't completed many games aside from the later FF series, so I'll comment on those.
Oh an I played FF1.

FF1(Remake) > I got about 15 minutes into this game, got a ship and didn't know where the hell to go so I quit. I, for one, like a good combination of linearity/free exploring. Anything that tips more towards free exploring I generally avoid because I get very lost, then frustrated, then I break things. It was the reason I quit Astonishia Story, as well.

FF7> I haven't finished this game but I restarted it namely because I'm like that. I get 3/4 through then restart because I don't like how I played. But, on that note, I have been enjoying this game, but not as much as all the hype seems to rave on about it. Plus Aeris sucks. Ass. And the final area she's alive in MAKES HER IN YOUR PARTY, which annoyed me because I already knew she died and I just wanted her to f**k off. Seriously. Tifa is a much better girlfriend for Cloud, if he ever starts learning to feel stuff again. -.-.
But on that note, I find the battles highly enjoyable, the graphics are meh compared to the massive jump made to FF8, materia's pretty cool and Sephiroth is badass. Story doesn't make a lot of sense but that makes it fun for me. I make storyline up to make it make sense. The games become bad fanfiction in a sense P:.
FF8> This was my third game, ever, and my first RPG, ever, so I of course am very, very nostalgic about it. I actually love the draw and Junction systems and was shocked to find people hated them. Like I mentioned previously, the issue with no proper backstories for character's never bothered me because I made them up. I loved Squall and Rinoa's relationship, the Sorceress storyline and...Squall in general. Plus the Ragnarok is the most badass airship to date. It kicks all of its following FF airship's ASSES. And I loved the musical score, I'm listening to it at the moment =/.
Plus I loved all the GF sequences even though Eden makes me get grey hair with the length. I believe FF8 deserved a sequel a lot more than FF7 did, because it had a number of loose ends compared to FF7.
FF7 wrapped basically everything up, and Advent Children was almost unnecessary, personally. It was basically fan-service.
FF9> I actually didn't play this until a few years ago but I loved it to bits. Zidane is so hilarious and Vivi is so mysterious and cute. And the whole Terra/Genome storyline was badass. Luckily I haven't finished this either, so where the plot stops I haven't even reached. I stopped shortly after Pandemonium.
The battles were HORRENDOUS. And grinding was A PAIN IN THE BUTT. I spent two hours searching for the equivalents of FF8's Islands Closest to Hell/Heaven, but all I found were Grand Dragons, which were Level 60 and I was about level 50 and I got crappy experience. I got so bored of the fights and the only fight I ever was interested in was Gizamaluke...he kicked my ass about 3 times. I found myself wishing for more sidequests. Like I said, I like linearity, but I want some free exploring too and few of FF9's sidequests could be just 'jumped into'. FF8 had a ton of sidequests since seven of your GF's were OPTIONAL.
FFX>This game was alright plot wise but it dragged a bit. I found myself mainly battle levelling for gameplay. Plus I hated the ending. Because I hate it when I cry. Shows the characters were pretty decent.
FFXII>hate the battle system. HATE HATE HATE HATE. Vaan sucks too. Ashe is pretty cool, but I also disliked the desaturated tones the characters skin and hair were done with. I could barely tell the difference between character eye colours, and it annoyed me. I haven't finished it but that's because it bored me. Lots of sidequests though, which is awesomeness ^_^.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I thought that FF1 was, like, the perfect mix of linearity and non-linearity. Obviously not everybody shares my opinion!

brandon: That is a terrific post. Please send it to all major game development companies.
post=117659
On the topic of Final Fantasy games . . .

I was playing FFXII the other day and I got to the part where you visit the viera city in the forest. My girlfriend asked me why I was playing a game where you visited a magical forest full of leggy bunny women in lingerie. I then realized it was basically the Playboy mansion. It's extremely mysoginistic really.

Stretch.

They're catering to their audiences and giving them what they want (or think they want). Same reason why soap operas/dramas geered towards women/girls frequently feature shirtless/nude men. If that's what they think people want to see, that's what they'll show. Everyone does it.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
This is how I like to sum up Final Fantasy XII, courtesy of TvTropes:

Final Fantasy XII is a 70-hour game full of intrigue and interweaving stories, taking a much more sombre look at the pursuit of what is essentially the lengths to which people would go to gain- or regain- power. Oh yeah, Some kids tag along for the ride.

Also could be described as: Final Fantasy: Star Wars edition
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=117715
Plus the Ragnarok is the most badass airship to date. It kicks all of its following FF airship's ASSES.

FFXII has the best airships.
Many of the games I have played from this era have already been talked about so I'll discuss the ones that have not been mentioned.

Shadow Madness - This game really taught me where my priorities lie when it comes to enjoying RPGs. The game had crappy graphics, sound, and gameplay but great characters and story. Fortunately battles were laughably easy so you could just breeze through the game and enjoy the story. It had one of the best character lineups I've seen in a game. Your party included a gun-happy gadgeteer, and floating British head, and a harvester robot who's catchphrase was; "There will be death."

The Legend of Dragoon - Once again, a very flawed game that I enjoyed nevertheless. Combat was very repetitive but it kept you awake. The first two discs were generic as hell, but the story picked up after that. The end of the third disc had an unexpected plot twist that kept me interested for the rest of the game. A mostly average game that stands out in a few areas.

The Grandstream Saga - Interesting battle system that felt more like a fighting game than an RPG. Great story potential but was told very poorly. It did have awesome anime cut scenes that really gave the characters life. It also had a great plot twist that resulted in two completely different endings.

Vagrant Story - I loved this game but I completely understand while some people did not care for it. It was an action RPG with a lot of weapon crafting. It was like the Shin Megami Tensei games in that you would find yourself spending time customizing your character just to beat a specific boss. The game had great music and story, but the graphics stretched the limit of what the PS1 could do and would have been better off on the PS2. The composer and character designer from Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII also did this game. This game is a commitment but I really feel it pays off.
I always saw Shadow Madness lying around in the video store in my early teens, and I wanted to pick it up but....I never did for some reason. I should do a blind-buy, since it's only three bucks on amazon.

I agree with what you said about LoD. It was a fairly good game, although the first thing that came to mind when I first saw it was "FF-Knock off."
I literally cannot imagine how anyone can compare Legend of Dragoon to FF at all. Someone please enlighten me, because I've heard the two being compared for years.
post=117812
I literally cannot imagine how anyone can compare Legend of Dragoon to FF at all. Someone please enlighten me, because I've heard the two being compared for years.

I don't think I've ever heard it being compared to FF. The two feel like completely different games, the only thing they have in common is that they are both RPGs.
Well, I was twelve when I made the comparison, and at the time I thought LoD's character design was similar to how an FF character would look like. Or something. I don't know, I was twelve. But that's what I thought.

I still wanted the game really bad though, and when I finally got it I was excited and played it non-stop.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Legend of Dragoon was worth a playthrough. Haschel and Lavitz were both awesome, and Lloyd is an ass.

Rose and Meru were both hawt.
I always thought LoD was a pretty blatant FF7 cash-in. Maybe not so much a ripoff, but I always thought the comparisons were valid. It has a lot of those PSX RPG-isms that have aged really poorly, such as the pre-rendered backgrounds and your character getting really small as he walks away from the camera (I hated that!), corny FMV that takes up like a whole disc worth of memory, and the need to listen to voice-acting shit like "Volcano!" a billion times.

I always thought LoD was a pretty blatant FF7 cash-in. Maybe not so much a ripoff, but I always thought the comparisons were valid.

explain
When LoD came out, it wasn't common for RPGs to be 4 discs, have lots of FMV, and have that style of graphics. FFVII did, and FFVII blew up. Sony made LoD because of that. It wasn't some sort of fluke.
I'm also pretty sure LoD got a pretty massive marketing budget from Sony for exactly this reason. When you hear about the game being not very good, you're basically hearing the game crumple under the exorbitant weight of its massive hype. Also, I've never played it, but I remember the fallout.

Edit: As far as being a cash-in, I'd probably modify it a bit to say that Sony wanted the game to be so huge that it would be "a sure thing" using FF7 as a market precedent.