GAME PET PEEVES

Okay, rummaging through mind for my quick "why are you doing stop doing this you are awful for doing this I hate you" -list, let's go

- Slow walk speed. I don't care if it's more realistic to go at a leisurely strolling pace, I am playing a game not sightseeing okay

- Run button. If you have a button I have to hold down as default in your game you are a terrible person. Make the higher movement speed the default one.

- Random encounters TOO OFTEN. I suspect this is where the majority of "ugh i hate random encounters" complaints come from honestly, no one likes having them every 5 steps

- Touch encounters in cramped spaces. Bravo for eliminating the point of touch encounters!

- Slow text speed. This includes arbitrary pauses in middle of text boxes to simulate speech rhythm or whatever. I don't care, you don't have voice acting, I am reading.

- The Rm2k3 DBS in 2010 - a dead horse maybe but as long as people keep on trying to ride it it will continue to be beaten

- Vague/bad descriptions of gameplay mechanics - I don't want to GUESS what your stupid spell does

That's about it off the top of my head!
post=138350
post=138335
like when you get this big opening credits sequence with the same name repeated over and over. BLOGGS GAMES PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS. A SAM BLOGGS PRODUCTION. SAM BLOGGS: LEAD WRITER. SAM BLOGGS: DEVELOPER. SAM BLOGGS: MAPPER. MUSIC BY NOBUO UEMATSO.
That was hilarious.

This actually happens in some of the games I've played, where spriters resource/uematso are the only other entities credited.
The Rm2k3 DBS in 2010 - a dead horse maybe but as long as people keep on trying to ride it it will continue to be beaten

For people with current projects, how much can one really do about this? Unless you mean 'literally bare bones with no gameplay perks whatsoever', then yeah.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Yeah it's easy and bad to get in the habit of typing /././. instead of ...

I do this myself.

- Slow walk speed. I don't care if it's more realistic to go at a leisurely strolling pace, I am playing a game not sightseeing okay

I actually prefer this on atmospheric games with small maps. I have had the complaint "walk speed too fast" in more than a few games.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
I also don't care having intrusive narrators, characters that realize they are in a RPG, voice-overs (not all of them are bad, most end up being really annoying). I am with Tonfa regarding vague/bad or non-existing descriptions of items, skills and spells. Also, games featuring too many or not enough items, or, too much or not enough money.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=138305
You're already lucky I'm wasting my time and disk space for your most likely shitty game, the least you could do is make it easy to delete when I inevitably decide it ain't worth my time.

Elitist attitude, and sadly like 30-40 percent of the people around these sites. Why even bother?
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
post=138380
post=138305
You're already lucky I'm wasting my time and disk space for your most likely shitty game, the least you could do is make it easy to delete when I inevitably decide it ain't worth my time.
Elitist attitude, and sadly like 30-40 percent of the people around these sites. Why even bother?

Yeah, I agree. Developers are sharing their work for here, for free and we should be thankful for that. I guess people think they are owed some special entitlement. The disk space can always be easily be recovered (pressing alt and delete, and confirming is hard?) and the time spent ... well, that was your bad choice. Easier to be whiny about it, I guess.
Well, there is a few things that annoy me in the RM games I've played.

"Skip Intro" Like I understand that some people don't like to see a opening of dialouge and stuff, but c'mon. If you don't want to see it, then while waiting for the opening to start, get yourself a pepsi and make a tiny bite to eat or something before you settle down and mash the buttons so you don't have to watch the intro.

Intros to a game are meant to be watched, not ignored.

The slow walking speed thing can only be a bitch if the maps are constantly big, then it'd be a grand reason as to why its crap.
post=138385
"Skip Intro" Like I understand that some people don't like to see a opening of dialouge and stuff, but c'mon. If you don't want to see it, then while waiting for the opening to start, get yourself a pepsi and make a tiny bite to eat or something before you settle down and mash the buttons so you don't have to watch the intro.

I actually hate it when I select skip intro anyway, and what I'm given right after that is what seems ANOTHER intro. But really I think the big solution to the problem is to make an intro exciting and relevant enough so that you don't consider making a skip intro option in the first place. You know, make the intro something people NEED to see.

Theres a reason why cartoons have their intros amazingly well done than the actual episodes, it's because they're trying to tell the kids "No, don't switch the channel, this is what you're getting if you stay."
I agree as long as the intro is interesting there's no reason to skip it.
If it's just drawing out intro credits for 5 minutes there no real reason to sit through it.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
My pet peeves. Note that it would take a combination of pretty much all of these to stop playing a game.

Slow walking speed for an entire game, unless the maps are small or the story requires it.

Slow text speed. I like one-second pauses between sentences, but I hate it when the speed of the entire dialogue is slow.

Excessive autoscrolling text. I'm probably going to remove all uses of autoscrolling in my games, unless it is used in a scene that synchronizes dialogue/effects with the background music.

Boring character interactions. If I'm going to watch a 15-minute cutscene with a conversation, it better be for the sake of either political intrigue, dramatic tension, or conflict. I don't care about the main characters "broing up" and talking about their past; as a matter of fact, the less I need to/have to know about a character, the better.

Bland battles, especially in early stages of the games. Characters should start with 2-4 skills, and should each have a unique ability that takes advantage of monster party scripts. Steal, scan, elemental attacks, gambling, money toss, counterattacking, status attacks, blue magic, math-based abilities....anything besides attack, one or two generic skills, and potions.

Long pauses in cutscenes. Transitions between segments of a cutscene should take no more than six seconds -- two-three seconds to fade out, and two-three to fade in. I don't want to be staring at a black or white screen for half a minute.

Likewise for watching characters slowly move across the room before talking. Have them talk -while- this is happening. Have characters talk while moving. Either that, or simply have them standing next to each other, having a chit chat.

Lack of a brief pause between dialogue exchanges. Half a second is usually good; anything more than one second is obscene. Likewise, there should only very rarely be a pause between text segments spoken by the same character.

Run button. Just make it default, PLEASE. Now, a walk button could be a cool gameplay feature; however, everyone is going to want to walk as fast as they can. Heck, when I replay RPGs on an emulator, I'm almost ALWAYS holding the speed-up button.

Excessive NPCs in towns. I know people want to make their towns life-like, but I don't want to feel overwhelmed by people to talk to. This is especially true when 90 percent of the conversations are useless. The only exception to this is when there's some sort of humor or exposition to be had.

Clusters of BGM from the same game. I don't mind music from mainstream RPGs, but please spread it out as much as possible. If I hear five Final Fantasy VII songs in a 10-minute period, I'll know to keep the sound down.

Character reaction bubbles (like in that abysmal Tales series). 'Nuff said :)

Lack of puzzles. If I want to travel through a basic maze, I'll go play that finger tracing maze thing at Dave and Busters.

Giant swords, guns, and hair, unless it's a parody or derivative work.

Villages burning down, unless it's an intentionally old-school RPG.

High encounter rates or overly clustered touch encounters. Heck, I press control a lot even in my most favorite RPG Maker games.

Self-righteous protagonists.

Self-righteous antagonists.

Self-righteous developers, unless they aren't asking for feedback, in which case they probably designed the game for their own satisfaction.

Max McGee
post=138387
post=138385

I actually hate it when I select skip intro anyway, and what I'm given right after that is what seems ANOTHER intro. But really I think the big solution to the problem is to make an intro exciting and relevant enough so that you don't consider making a skip intro option in the first place. You know, make the intro something people NEED to see.

Theres a reason why cartoons have their intros amazingly well done than the actual episodes, it's because they're trying to tell the kids "No, don't switch the channel, this is what you're getting if you stay."

Skip intro is a good feature for people who are playing a game for the fourth or fifth time. No matter how well done the intro is, you don't give a shit the eighth or ninth time.

That's why I included a skip intro feature on the beta version of To Arms! because the beta testers are gonna have to replay it a lot.

Sorry but very large swords, guns and hair all exist in the real world.
You know I don't mind 'mindless' NPCs but as you said I like it better when they add something to the player or the world. I find NPCs to be very useful little information carriers. Even if they can hint breaking the 4th wall they can give subtle information and tips to the player while staying in character.
@Max: I think if someone is willing to play your game for the "eighth or ninth time." making a skip intro option is the least of your worries. Though it makes sense for beta testing.

Bald Men With Fists: The Game
Max McGee
post=138396
@Max:I think if someone is willing to play your game for the "eighth or ninth time." making a skip intro option is the least of your worries. Though it makes sense for beta testing.

Yeah I'm not including a skip intro option in the final release or any of the other "debug mode" features available for testers.

My game has a shit ton of replay value so here's hoping it will get some replays.

post=138397
Bald Men With Fists: The Game

I lol'd.
Every time I play a game with a skip intro button, the author is telling me "Yeah, well my intro is pretty meaningless so you don't have to watch it!"

That's not a good thing.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I dug the section of slow walk speed in Dungeon Crawl where you were carrying a person. Other than such things as that, no thanks.
My pet peeves:

Slow walk speed
Lengthy random battles
A trillion random battles on one map

But for the record, I really, really, really, really, really fucking HATE bizarre crossover games. That's my biggest pet peeve.

Lucky for you, that doesn't seem to happen often =P

The only one I can think of is my own, which I'm basically making for shits n' giggles
Max McGee
You are far from the only one. (And for some reason, yours bother me the least.)