WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

Coming to the realization that if I don't break into game design/development, and am able to make money on it, right now, then chances are I never will.
My single project has taken like 4-5 years to make as it is, but it's not one I can make money on (because I use content that is under a Non-Commercial License), so I've had to put it on Hiatus until I have the time to finish it. Right now, my best bet is to use my old Game Maker 8 (studio does not work right for some reason, won't compile games at all), and make the games I initially thought about making. I'm getting to be decent at GML, but not to the point of like, 3d or anything, which is my ultimate goal, I suppose. The problem is, there is no community for GM8 anymore, so script support is totally out the window. Something as simple as text boxes tend to be a hassle, which is just sad.

The future of my dream job has never looked more bleak than it does now.
Yanfly's new Grid-Free Doodads for MV. This plugin is just fantastic. Mapping game changer!
author=Jaden
Coming to the realization that if I don't break into game design/development, and am able to make money on it, right now, then chances are I never will.

Regardless of how good I manage to ever to get at gamedev, I would never quit my day job for it.
author=SgtMettool
author=Jaden
Regardless of how good I manage to ever to get at gamedev, I would never quit my day job for it.

I myself wouldn't worry too much about it, but it's my only real marketable skill, sadly.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Jaden
author=SgtMettool
author=Jaden
I myself wouldn't worry too much about it, but it's my only real marketable skill, sadly.

I'd argue that most skills that you'd get in gamedev could probably be translated elsewhere, you know? Like programming, artwork, etc
author=TehGuy
author=Jaden
author=SgtMettool
author=Jaden
I'd argue that most skills that you'd get in gamedev could probably be translated elsewhere, you know? Like programming, artwork, etc

Possibly. In the case of programming, it kind of depends on what language one uses. JS probably being the better option, since it's used in a lot of things. C as well.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Wondering if I should continue my current project. It won't take long to finish, yes, but it's not a game I want to make due to how simplistic and empty it's felt thus far. Rather than work at my dream project right away though, I feel I should get my feet wet with this simple little game I'm trying to create first.
Just finished my first game but I have ideas for a few more (once my life gets less chaotic; a have a professional exam to study for and an upcoming move haha). These are the two most likely ideas I'd start on next:

• A story-based puzzle horror game with a similar structure to Fatal Frame 3; the majority of the gameplay takes place in the MC's dreams while clue-finding and the like takes place within her house.

• A short dungeon crawler starring four amnesiac RPG archetypes that quickly turns into a darker, more psychological story, which would change depending on your gameplay style.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Thinking about porting my game's wiki to a different wiki host instead of Wikia, so that it doesn't take 45 minutes to load the equipment page and bombard people with unmutable video ads.

Wikia has a history of being douchebags about wikis trying to move to other sites, not only disallowing the advertising of the new wiki but even going as far as banning the moderators and administrators of those wikis from Wikia as a whole. But I control 100% of the traffic going into the wiki; everyone who goes there does so because they're told to on the newbie channel in the game, or because they followed a link from the game's website. So I don't even need to post a notice anywhere on the wiki that it's been taken down. I can just make an in-game announcement that we've moved to a new URL and then leave the old wiki there to rot forever, confident that no one will ever visit it again. Who cares.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The simple solution would be to split it into a different map when the player goes from a safe area to a dangerous area. That's what almost every game with random battles that I've ever seen has done.
LockeZ
Even if you're leaving most of the areas connected on a single map in general, I still feel that an area that functions differently should be separated cleanly. If necessary, make all of your safe areas be inside of buildings, and then you won't be breaking your rule. Alternately, don't have any safe areas; just have one safe hub that the player can recall to, and unlockable warp points around the game. Alternately, make your safe areas be pocket dimensions that the player has to step on a magic circle to enter. Alternately, I guess you could leave the towns outdoors, but make every one of them be enclosed in a giant translucent magical dome, with a very noticable shimmer, sound effect, and change of music when the player passes through the barrier. (Actually the change of music, by itself, might be enough.)
author=Sated
I can even make it so that a number of them aren't battles, simply random cutscenes that can happen in a given area or under a given set of conditions.

Are the non-combat encounters repeatable? That could get annoying, seeing the same dialog/descriptions over and over again.

If I was doing random encounters, I would limit them to certain terrains (like forests and hills) on the world map. Places where it would make sense to suddenly find yourself in melee range of a handful of ogres. Safe areas would be roads and plains, and the area maps.

author=LockeZ
(Actually the change of music, by itself, might be enough.)

Unless the player has the music muted.
I'm thinking about how hard it is for me to release my games to other people or release early versions to get feedback. When I'm full of motivation, I'm afraid that any kind of reaction or feedback could break my motivation streak again. When I'm out of motivation I'm just like "it's not good enough to be released".

I actually often go to forums where people once (years ago) offered me to test my game and give feedback, open their PMs with their offer, read it again, click on the reply button and then think for a while and then end up with "Better not" and close the tab again.

Or I want to create a thread of a game I made, but don't even manage to start writing anything.

Or I click on the "Submit Game" button on RMN and then think "Hmm, pure programming can't be selected as engine, they probably don't want my games here." or I click on "New Thread" in the website feedback forum wanting to ask if it's okay to submit games made by pure programming, but then I'm like "You just make yourself look like a fool" and close the tab once again.

Or I go to Rogue Temple wanting to tell people about my games, but then there are the forums "Major Roguelikes", "Other Roguelikes" and "Early Dev" and I'm like hmm, definitely not a major roguelike, other roguelikes is sub-titled "games with an existing player base" which my unreleased game obviously don't have and I finished the game years ago so wouldn't call it early dev either. Then I wonder if I should post in the general thread or offtopic thread, but the existing discussions there are also not about certain games so it feels out of place too.

I find my behavior quite funny. I lost count of how often I closed a tab that was actually in a "post" mode at that time because I decided to not hit the "Submit" button in the end.

Often I really just want to express my feelings. I was thinking of writing a blog, but was like "nobody reads that anyway". This thread, however, seems perfect for that. All forums should have such a thread.

Yes yes.
I've been using a "fake it til you make it" approach regarding promoting my game (e.g. posting it on various sites, reaching out to LPers, posting in the official blog, creating side-content as though it was already noteworthy), which seems to be somewhat effective (I just surpassed 1000 downloads after a month of being released), but sometimes I wonder if I'm coming across as being too conceited since it's my first project and all. >_>;;
I haven't been super active with making games, but there's this one pokemon-like robot battling game/game series (now simply called N series) idea that I keep coming back developing it incrementally step by step (always without any clear plan about what to do next it seems...) There were other smaller projects also that I tried but I made nothing playable except a small Pong like game.

I think I scrap all the other ideas in favor of turning this N series into proper game whenever I have time and motivation to do it during passing weeks. Earlier this year I made a simplified copy of the pokemon battle system using python and now I changed it towards more distinct system of it's own calling it N Duel Demo. Now I plan to add features until it's complete battle system of it's own, but for now it's still at super basic level...
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
I feel tempted to make a game with broken english dialogue. Write something down in german or spanish and direct transalteit using google trasnlate.

Who knows, maybe I'll get some broken dialogue like "All your base are belong to us".

Should I go for it?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Ozzy, I'd say go for it. So long as you don't go for intentionally broken English, you should be fine.

For the longest time, I've been struggling with the layout of a particular dungeon. No matter which design I went for, it was either too long, too confusing, or too straightforward. And recently, I've been trying to come up with interesting B+ level tiles for decoration, and just couldn't get inspired, no matter how many real life examples I looked at.

So I deleted it. I just deleted 7 maps of that dungeon. Even the tilesets. All gone. Poof. They weren't even small maps, either.

But now my progress has been exceptional since then. I've already made more tiles in the last two days than I did over the last week of working, and the design of the entire dungeon has been laid out in half the time it took before.

Sometimes you gotta cut out the fat to work the muscle, I guess.