TALK ABOUT RM GAMES! MID-YEAR MISAO DISCUSSION TOPIC

Pages: first 123 next last
SO...

It's almost half way through 2019 and you didn't play any RM games this year and you probably forgot that the nominate function exists.

Let's just spend some talking about RM games! Doesn't have to be super critical opinions or feedback, could just be a casual impression of what you played so far / game you want to play or a "What RM games are you thinking about" equivalent. Ultimately though it might also be a good chance to fill up your nominate lists (even if super relative) and talk about your personal favs, what might win overall, or even what you hope might get released in time. If you did a review of a recent game, feel free to share it! Post what you've been browsing and how you've been choosing which RM games to play lately.

Games I've Played:

Theia - The Crimson Eclipse

Given that it's been featured, this game needs little introduction. It's an epic Italian RPG Maker game recently translated and fully playable in English! I've been playing it off and on and it's really a treat, feels like a super pretty RM game you'd see posted in screenshot topics never to be released because of how polished it is. Only now it exists! I enjoy a lot of the visual details and how the animations all come together, there's some pretty cool stuff. I'll probably post more opinions when I get farther into the game, I've also been meaning to set this up to be played on my TV with a SNES controller because I'm one of those people.

Slimes

A GAME where you fight SLIMES and... that's it, there's no literal title joke that's actually all you do. I think the low download count is a bit sad considering there's some really cool stuff worth appreciating here. It's set in a fictional country with a heavy religion thematic backstory involving a slime epidemic. The slimes start to develop a very continuous personality throughout the demo and I like a lot of the world building documents you get for clearing every floor. It's got a bleak outlook on JRPG tropes but I think it has its own voice regarding the dynamics of how society chooses to deal with an impending threat. I highly recommend it.

Steamed Hams, but it's RPGMAKER2003!

The meme game to cap off the decade of what we thought was a good idea to make youtube edits of. It's actually quite enjoyable playing this and being amazed that this is happening inside of an RPG_RT and almost checking to see that this isn't some elaborate mole box prank. As someone who's seen all that RM2K3 has to offer, it's cool to see the amount of detail that went into condensing all of this inside of rm2k3's rather limited (and "beloved") default battle system.

Games I've been meaning to play:

Final Fantasy: Sky Warriors

I'm not big on fan-games, but I think the fact that this is made by a very oldschool RMer has me interested (also what RM game isn't a fan game these days ohohoho gotem). I remember when RM2K3 had a bit of a phase where people were making 8bit games left and right (Dragon Fantasy, Hellion, Ocean Blue) and it makes me nostalgic for... games that were trying to be nostalgic. I also think the battle charset edits look pretty cute.

Crescent Prism - Chapter 1

So I'm getting to the demo/episodic category of games that I admittedly hold off on because there might be more content later. But given the recent shift in development maybe I should just sit down and play the first damn chapter. It looks like fun little romp that resembles a Nintendo-like RPG if mario didn't exist or something. I keep seeing good things about it and the creator's other games.

Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening

Saw this on everyone's recent greatest game of all time lists. It has a recent 60% update eligible for a demo award at least, so good time as ever to give this a shot. It also looks really good. I think I was out for most of the RMN 2013-2016ish period so I missed out on a lot of games.

2019 Likely Hypefuls (Games that aren't released yet (({but might be*})):
*: lol

I Want to Bring Her Back to Life but I Don't Know Where to Start

Not a joke game and not just able to nab the best title award if the author gets another demo out this year, but is actually quite an interesting anomaly for several reasons. It has a CBS, it has a very specific tone when it comes to dialogue, weird on rails exploration and just everything about its sensibilities perplexes me. It came to my attention a little too late last year but I hope it gains more notice this time around. Regardless of what timeline you're in, it'll be a rm2k3 DYNRPG killer app for all time.

Villnoire

"Wait people still make games like this?" Yeah man, yeah man, they do. Rocking the FSM chipsets and settling for nothing less than ambition. The game quietly made itself to 80% completion and while that might be some bs a teenager would put in their gamingW sig years ago... I choose to believe. Your so called rational mind will lack the glory of being right on the money when you see that bright green Completed status one day.

Edit: the prophecy came true

Psi Dogs: Suns of Antares

FMVs... the final frontier. Very rarely do I see someone putting their Blender skills to pre-rendered use while still taking advantage of the many VN-like qualities RPG Maker tends to have. This game reminds me of what 9 year old me thought Starcraft would be when I was blankly staring at the campaign menu interface and having no clue what an RTS was. There's a charm in this games look that I admire. Hopefully this goes where no one has gone before.

Alright now its your turn to talk about recent RM games, go on, jog your memory if you have to. (You don't have to be as elaborate or screenshot pasty as me btw).
I havent played anything yet because im a bad boy... :(

How do people find the time to not just develop games but also play other peoples games?
By marking it as 'research' and taking the time to do so. ;p
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

It's been so long since I have played a RPG Maker game.

Last years awards got less than 1000 votes, that's a record low that's only beat by 2009.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I haven't got around to playing many rm games this year just yet. I certainly post more here later on.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I've just played the entries to the TimTam jam. Here's some breakouts:

Chromatic Aberration
A charming adventure game that addresses a lot of aspects of being an artist.

El Arte
I LOVE THIS GAME. PLEASE PLAY IT.

the Abyssal of the Opera
This game is better than any event game has a right to be! Awesome battle system, great characters, good art direction except for some of the cutscenes.

Unfinished Stories
An endearing game about growing up. It suffers a lot by putting in jumping puzzles, but the art direction, writing, and framing are all fantastic.
I usually don't get around to playing games until the end of the year, just before the nomination period wraps up. Been trying to break away from this habit, but so far I've been too busy this year :(

I appreciate people sharing their thoughts here though, it helps with deciding which games I'll want to give a try.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I haven't played a whole lot yet and that's mainly because I didn't think many Misao worthy titles had actually popped up. I think with the release of Villnoire though it's about damn time I start playing these before the end of the year.

Here's everything in my 2019 list of games that look like they will be worth a misao, some of which are being criminally underlooked by everyone. Keep in mind the nominations are where I THINK the game will go, not what I have already nominated them for. Again, I haven't actually played these yet. They could be terrible for all I know.

El Arte

People are really loving this game and I think it's gonna be worth it. I'm thinking this one will go in one of the following categories for me.
- Trippiest Game
- Best Event Game

Deadly Woods

I'm so upset that we as a site seem to like Twin Peaks so much yet none of us are paying any attention to this? I think this is going to be one of the better adventure and story based games to come out this year so I hope it gets some love before the misaos. I think I would probably nominate it in;
- Excellence in Narrative
- The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
- Star Stealing Prince Award

Corruption of Laetitia

This is another one that seems to be pretty overlooked despite looking like a very quality game. I've heard this game relies heavily on your choices. Unfortunately, it being a JRPG means Villnoire and Theia will probably take its awards, but this one could easily deserve to win a thing or two.

Unfinished Stories

Another event game that I think looks surprisingly good. This one's also gotten more popular like El Arte and I'm 99% sure it will win at least one Misao, and I think it's going to be worth it.
- "Eye Candy" Award
- Best Event Game
- Star Stealing Prince Award

Who am I kidding recommending overlooked games that I think deserve to have a chance against the other nominees, this one's just gonna grab 90% of all misao spots anyway. I think this game is gonna be worth almost every Misao but I'm gonna make it a rule for myself to only nominate it for any of these two or three categories when the time comes.
- "Eye Candy" Award
- "Lawsuit Waiting to Happen" Award
- The Dark Souls of RMN
- "Everlasting Journey" Award
- Best Non-English Game
- Game of the Year

Burden

Burden is another game that I think is being highly overlooked. I have no idea if it will be good enough to win any misaos, but it looks like it should win at least one.
- Trippiest Game
- Best First Game (?)

Villnoire

Probably the only game that stands a chance against Theia this year. Either way, it looks amazing and I'm sure it's gonna win a good bunch of misaos too.
- "Eye Candy" Award
- The Dark Souls of RMN
- Not Dead Yet Award
- "Everlasting Journey" Award
- Game of the Year

Edit: Forgot these

I've never played any FF games besides Mystic Quest but I'll probably give this one a chance anyway.
- "Lawsuit Waiting to Happen" Award
- Not Dead Yet Award

A Figment of Discord

Another game that feels like it's being overlooked.
- "Eye Candy" Award
- Best Non-English Game

CURRENT NOMINATIONS:
Best Title - I Vanquished the Empire as a Kid and Now the Economy is Crap
Best Game Profile - Unfinished Stories
The How the Hell Did They Do That Award - Steamed Hams 2k3

You'll notice that I've only actually played one these games.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm going to toot my own horn for a bit, even if I loathe doing so.

I'm pretty sure Baclyae Revolution is available to be nominated this year? Not 100% sure. Though, aside from maybe the "Not Dead Yet Award" (it's only been two years in the making), I don't really see it winning anything.

I have no idea what other games would even qualify for "Year of the Owl" this year. Outside of Bunker 9? Actually, now that I think on it, retroexcellent's A Rat's Journey might count towards this. I should play that.
Dang, thanks for recommending "Slimes" Darken. Damn that demo was good.
If Shooty and the Catfish manages to pull of a nom for best soundtrack I think ill be content, im pretty happy with the work done on it by Angry Hippos and local Agent Ape.
But given the recent shift in development maybe I should just sit down and play the first damn chapter.

I'll say that the Chapter 1 release of Crescent Prism was sort of a "In case I never get to finish the rest of this" release, so I hope not too many people hold off on playing it lol
Blue blew.

author=Darken
SO...

It's almost half way through 2019 and you didn't play any RM games this year and you probably forgot that the nominate function exists.

Let's just spend some talking about RM games! Doesn't have to be super critical opinions or feedback, could just be a casual impression of what you played so far / game you want to play or a "What RM games are you thinking about" equivalent. Ultimately though it might also be a good chance to fill up your nominate lists (even if super relative) and talk about your personal favs, what might win overall, or even what you hope might get released in time. If you did a review of a recent game, feel free to share it! Post what you've been browsing and how you've been choosing which RM games to play lately.

Games I've Played:

Given that it's been featured, this game needs little introduction. It's an epic Italian RPG Maker game recently translated and fully playable in English! I've been playing it off and on and it's really a treat, feels like a super pretty RM game you'd see posted in screenshot topics never to be released because of how polished it is. Only now it exists! I enjoy a lot of the visual details and how the animations all come together, there's some pretty cool stuff. I'll probably post more opinions when I get farther into the game, I've also been meaning to set this up to be played on my TV with a SNES controller because I'm one of those people.

Get an HMDI cable, and a crappy Logitech controller, set the computer settings to Do Nothing when you close the cover, and just plug it in and close the case. Voila, your computer is now a Nintendo Switch (not really)

Slimes

A GAME where you fight SLIMES and... that's it, there's no literal title joke that's actually all you do. I think the low download count is a bit sad considering there's some really cool stuff worth appreciating here. It's set in a fictional country with a heavy religion thematic backstory involving a slime epidemic. The slimes start to develop a very continuous personality throughout the demo and I like a lot of the world building documents you get for clearing every floor. It's got a bleak outlook on JRPG tropes but I think it has its own voice regarding the dynamics of how society chooses to deal with an impending threat. I highly recommend it.

That actually sounds interesting.

Steamed Hams, but it's RPGMAKER2003!

The meme game to cap off the decade of what we thought was a good idea to make youtube edits of. It's actually quite enjoyable playing this and being amazed that this is happening inside of an RPG_RT and almost checking to see that this isn't some elaborate mole box prank. As someone who's seen all that RM2K3 has to offer, it's cool to see the amount of detail that went into condensing all of this inside of rm2k3's rather limited (and "beloved") default battle system.

When I finished the game, I was never clear whether the creator forgot the fire engine graphic due to running out of elements or whether that was exactly the joke.

Games I've been meaning to play:

I'm not big on fan-games, but I think the fact that this is made by a very oldschool RMer has me interested (also what RM game isn't a fan game these days ohohoho gotem). I remember when RM2K3 had a bit of a phase where people were making 8bit games left and right (Dragon Fantasy, Hellion, Ocean Blue) and it makes me nostalgic for... games that were trying to be nostalgic. I also think the battle charset edits look pretty cute.

I played this for awhile, and personally I enjoyed it, but I think I got frustrated at the game's midpoint. I got a boat, and they said something about heading to the west, but I went to the wrong spot and got killed really quick. Also, when I played it at least, there was a terribad glitch with the boats, and I somehow could phase through stuff but couldn't land the boat properly.

Crescent Prism - Chapter 1

So I'm getting to the demo/episodic category of games that I admittedly hold off on because there might be more content later. But given the recent shift in development maybe I should just sit down and play the first damn chapter. It looks like fun little romp that resembles a Nintendo-like RPG if mario didn't exist or something. I keep seeing good things about it and the creator's other games.

Ooooh, I saw that on the Screenshots page. And then I forgot about it for awhile. Thanks! (Skipping some of these)

Villnoire

"Wait people still make games like this?" Yeah man, yeah man, they do. Rocking the FSM chipsets and settling for nothing less than ambition. The game quietly made itself to 80% completion and while that might be some bs a teenager would put in their gamingW sig years ago... I choose to believe. Your so called rational mind will lack the glory of being right on the money when you see that bright green Completed status one day.

Edit: the prophecy came true

It's done? Yay! I played Villnoire as a demo and it was great.

Alright now its your turn to talk about recent RM games, go on, jog your memory if you have to. (You don't have to be as elaborate or screenshot pasty as me btw).

Personally, I'd make three categories of my own. And no, I don't really have any interest in recent games.

Games That Sucked After Feedback From Jerks:

(I think you can figure this out yourself. One was that one with space aliens, that cat, and terrain attack battles. And the two girls one of which is a knight and the other a princess which the author ragequit after neg feedback)

Games That Are Awesome But Need To Finish:

White Magic
(A good concept but done entirely too quick, and then canceled)

Echo - Our Voice
(Dammit I love the opening song to this. Plus it has a cool plot and a cool battle system)

Numina
(I like the cutscenes, I like the music, and I like the concept. But's kinda stuck in development hell)

Games That Are Awesome But No Part Two:

Forever's End

Love and War

And then there's a couple self-contained that are finished and awesome. And another list of generic and boring games that the author needs to actually stop copying author people and their "success" and make something original. And horror genre stuff that is too much jump scares and not enough real horror. But that's too many categories, and yeah just no.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
isnt it a bit late into the year to add new misaos

also "games that are awesome but need to finish" is basically just the best demo misao except for games you can't even actually nominate because they didn't release that year. games that are awesome but no part two is so specific that there would be hardly any games to vote for it. except the couple games you posted that you can't even actually nominate because they are old. you do know that misaos are meant to be for games that released that year and not older games, right? that's the point of them being annual.

Also I've been playing Villnoire and just to let you all know this is a very solid contender for best soundtrack

I think it's also worth voting for Not Dead Yet, Dark Souls of RMN and maybe even Game of the Year but I feel like it's gonna be competing with Theia for those. Either way I hope it wins at least one misao because it's really, really good.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=visitorsfromdreams
If Shooty and the Catfish manages to pull of a nom for best soundtrack I think ill be content, im pretty happy with the work done on it by Angry Hippos and local Agent Ape.

It is extremely worthy. That is a bangin OST.
Yeah, so far this year I've really enjoyed Yuria, Villnoire, Theia, Venturia, Cope Island and a bunch of others I can't recall off the top of my head but that I will add a list of here later on.

Honestly, we've had some bang-up contenders this year so far!
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
People should talk more about Shootfish! I have this list of games to play later, which have a standing chance.
I would also like to mention Frogge's Memories of a Forgotten Home and It's not because the name's mouthful. It's because the game looks great and it uses subtle narrative techniques decently.
Villnoire is what i playing right now(wonderful game, reminds a little of Ara fell, maybe much for the use of the wonderful "graphics" both with some"edits" surely, that`s my personally favorite among graphics set that`s around.
Warming up with that game i`m gonna dive into Theia.
Before that;Everlong and Blackmoonprophecy 2.
Another game(a little hidden gem(?)) i played before was: Romancing monarcy,great and not too long.(commercial now but surely cheap and worth it). Before that this year was:Sandstorm(i gave up again because of a nasty bug that is surely easy to fix with a little knowledge of the maker(?).,
should be an guide but it`s quiet around that game.But it`s very good. And the really fun and good: Yggdrasil chronicles.
I know that Sandstorm and Yggdrasil C is not here on RMN but should be.The guy behind Yggdrasil C is working on another game now,with a pretty long demo.He with Sandstorm seems gone.
Everyone that likes for example:Lunar wish and long games with great mapping and the option to built your your character as you like should play Yggdrasil Chronicles(one of the best i ever played) ,(i don`t know the guy, i just love good RM games and talk much about it because maybe some here misses that gem.
Villnoire and Theia at the same year among many other great games this year(like #Baclyae Revolution,,The sun is A star#)that i still need to find time to play through) Misaos is hard to choose(for me).
Great year i think, for RM games.
Let's talk about Cope Island. No, not the 2014 IGMC entry that got a lot of hate because it dared to use RTP and still won 3rd place in the RPG category. The commercial version that just got released on Steam.

The game markets itself as a journey of self improvement but it has a lot more going for it. It has fast paced turn based combat, rogue lite elements, and multiple branching paths. It's one of those games that you play through once and realize you haven't scratched the surface. I can't even talk about the coolest aspects of the game without spoilers.

Unfortunately the $9.99 price tag will probably prevent most ppl on here from playing it but there is a demo on the RMN page: https://rpgmaker.net/games/10343/downloads/10624/
Sooz
author=kenlan
Another game(a little hidden gem(?)) i played before was: Romancing monarcy,great and not too long.(commercial now but surely cheap and worth it).

author=stoic
Let's talk about Cope Island. No, not the 2014 IGMC entry that got a lot of hate because it dared to use RTP and still won 3rd place in the RPG category. The commercial version that just got released on Steam.

Not really stuff we can talk about for the Misaos: they're only for noncommercial games.
Pages: first 123 next last