MISAOS 2020 - DISCUSSION TOPIC

Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
author=Cap_H
Or we can solve the whole thing by removing the best event game misao.

However as bluerouge rightfully pointed out, event games are kind of our best website thing at present time and I feel removing the category altogether would be a waste. I agree btw, when shilling for this place the first feature I shill about is almost always the events.

Liberty mentioned the important fact that some events do not require a gamepage for you to participate, which basically bars all these games from being nominated.

HOWEVER, how many times have we not had events like that (no gamepage required), where people will comment by the end "I made a gamepage for my project: (link)" anyway? This issue could be tackled by reminding people at the end of such events that they should make a gamepage for their game if they want to put it for misao consideration, linking back to it in the comments of the event so someone can add it to a playlist for that event.

Placing a bit of the burden to be considered for a misao on the people who want to win that misao for those specific kinds of event should be okay right?
I don't know, maybe there could be like a highlight reel of best event games from the last year. Like, best 5/10 or something (not ranked, just a list and maybe a few sentences how it made it on the list)?

The Game with No Name also wasn't the only event game mentioned as a candidate for Misao early on in this thread. There were also Luke Daimont: Absolute Mayhem, Fragment and 7 Minutes mentioned in the first 2 posts by Marrend and RPGMakerAddict. Then there were Feed your Pet and Cuties and Clues both within the first two pages of this thread. And I'm pretty sure there were more mentioned past that. I think I remember someone mentioning Age of Myth. So, I don't think it's the case of there being only one event game mentioned as a possible candidate for that Misao, it's just a low participation in general coupled with random chance.

Or everyone who voted for this category voted for a different game, since you apparently need 2 votes for the nomination to count, but I'm pretty sure that the first option is much more likely.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Cap_H
Or we can solve the whole thing by removing the best event game misao.

That's not a solution that's murder :(
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I was planning on doing a special call-out to event-games that were mentioned in-thread that had not garndered enough nominations with the voting results. However, for the sake of the conversation at hand, my notes indicate the following games.

7 Minutes (Kill the Cutie)
Age of Myth (50 Days of Representation)
Amarok's Howl (Kill the Cutie)
Cuties & Clues (Kill the Cutie)
Feed Your Pet (Kill the Cutie)
Fragment (Trials of RPG Maker MZ)
Glories of the Hunt (50 Days of Representation)
KO Cupid (50 Days of Representation)
Luke Diamont: Absolute Mayhem (Trials of RPG Maker MZ)
Heaven's Gate (Theme Roulette 3)
Heaven's Gate MZ (Trials of RPG Maker MZ)
Saga Crew and the Spire of Mana (50 Days of Representation)

*Edit: I did have Feed Your Pet in my notes of games. However, it was not listed with the event-games! Fixed!

*Edit2: Breakdown by event.
Kill the Cutie - 4 games
50 Days of Representation - 4 games
Trials of RPG Maker MZ - 3 games
Theme Roulette 3 - 1 game
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Sooz
I'm now wondering whether just adding a thread in Video Games dedicated to on-site games would work out better- instead of being dedicated to the Misaos, just drive some kind of discussion and awareness so people in the community can recommend and chat about the video games the site was made for.

And also seed it with the occasional (genuine!) post about nominating a game for Misaos if it's valid!

For real someone who plays a lot of games do this.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
You're right Mirak. I guess my favourite solution would be to make misaos semi-curated. And by curation I mean adding extra items in underrepresented categories and for example removing major goty players from the kentona's award.

And you're absolutely right about the category spotlighting one of the most important features of this community. I think one of the problems might be that people who participate in events don't participate in nominating as much. If there's a way for people to make it attractive to nominate a game right after an event ends, let's spotlight it. The problem isn't that people don't play enough event games, playing one and liking it is enough to nominate it!

So, I think a roundup of event games can happen within the overall misao roundup, but I think that putting more emphasis on nominating right after an event ends and maybe making a reviewing event in roughly november/december focused on 2021 games and misao nominations would help too.
Sooz
author=Cap_H
You're right Mirak. I guess my favourite solution would be to make misaos semi-curated. And by curation I mean adding extra items in underrepresented categories and for example removing major goty players from the kentona's award.

Hell yeah!
Marrend
The thought occurs to me that a number of users, including myself, are trying to put together a gaming diary this year. The general focus does seem to tend toward commercial games, but, like, that doesn't mean we can't talk about RPG Maker games we played either. In fact...

*Edit: ...here's an attempt. What I might want to do, though, is make a status, or whatever, and ask people to suggest their games for me to play for the purposes of that thread.
Okay, Thank you guys ❤:

What I'm going to do here is, coming October 2021, I'm going to look through each RMN event page, where games were included and I'm going to list down each one, very roughly, kind of similar to what Marrend has done above, except for each event where games applicable. But it's going to be your job, you guys, the ones who participate in these events, to tell us what's good about them.

I'm never going to have the time to participate in these RMN events. I don't even have the time to watch a 3 hour stream about all the really cool games that come out of them - all I can do is list them.

If there was a way you could do a review event for RMN event games during the summer and like double the maker score or something. That would be a really great way to round these games up, curate them and actually talk about them for the misaos without much effort.

To understand the problem here, The misaos is like. maybe 7-10 good games per year, if we're lucky to get enough nominations. The amount of games that come out of these RMN events alone, is double, maybe triple the amount of games that come out from the misaos, yet we only have one category for event games.

We just need a way to very easily and very quickly highlight these event games - Make at least two more categories, and make them very specific to event games. I mean stuff like Best Event Team. Give people a chance to highlight really cool teams this year, something they can nominate immediately in the moment once an event page is up:

Pudding and Waka? What a Match up!
Zorga and OldPat? I can't wait to see what they cook up!
Coelocanth Unity and Muffles? that's like the ultimate dream team!
zDS, CashmereCat,SuperStroke,esby? The boys are back in town!

But you wouldn't be nominating the teams, you would be nominating the game they're working on. Like, even if it turns out to be a disaster and gets cancelled. Give us something fun to nominate on in the moment. So when the year is over, we can look back and go "oh, that wasn't a very good team" or "this match up really surprised me".

This new category wouldn't be about the games, It'll be about the teams and it would be focusing on event games.

EDIT2: Best Event Dream Team Matchup.

EDIT: I agree with what Mirak and Cap_H have said here.
author=Marrend
I was planning on doing a special call-out to event-games that were mentioned in-thread that had not garndered enough nominations with the voting results. However, for the sake of the conversation at hand, my notes indicate the following games.

7 Minutes (Kill the Cutie)
Age of Myth (50 Days of Representation)
Amarok's Howl (Kill the Cutie)
Cuties & Clues (Kill the Cutie)
Feed Your Pet (Kill the Cutie)
Fragment (Trials of RPG Maker MZ)
Glories of the Hunt (50 Days of Representation)
KO Cupid (50 Days of Representation)
Luke Diamont: Absolute Mayham (Trials of RPG Maker MZ)
Heaven's Gate (Theme Roulette 3)
Heaven's Gate MZ (Trials of RPG Maker MZ)
Saga Crew and the Spire of Mana (50 Days of Representation)

*Edit: I did have Feed Your Pet in my notes of games. However, it was not listed with the event-games! Fixed!

*Edit2: Breakdown by event.
Kill the Cutie - 4 games
50 Days of Representation - 4 games
Trials of RPG Maker MZ - 3 games
Theme Roulette 3 - 1 game

Some sort of special official call-out/list of best event games from the last year would be a good idea. There were a lot of good ones in 2020 that seem to have been overlooked by people. It would be a shame if that's how it ended.
Maybe an article? BEST OF 2020! or something like that? Add a playlist of them, too?
author=Liberty
Maybe an article? BEST OF 2020! or something like that? Add a playlist of them, too?

Yeah, that would be a good idea.
Marrend
Well, I don't know about putting together an article, but, the playlist for best event-games? That, I can do.

*Edit: Also fixed the link to Amarok's Howl. It was pointing to Luke Diamont: Absolute Mayhem before.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
Why not remind people about nominations mid-year? We could use one of those frontpage flags.

Or make an event around nominations, similar to the events around reviews.

I agree that there should be more nomination categories. In fact, we could make an event around creating new nomination categories!

However, having said all that, I feel like we are taking this too seriously.
Sure, it sucks when your game isn't noticed (believe me, I know about that!).

But weren't Misaos supposed to be all in good silly fun?
Sooz
Noticing more games is fun though?
author=iddalai
Why not remind people about nominations mid-year? We could use one of those frontpage flags.

Or make an event around nominations, similar to the events around reviews.

Yeah, we did mid-year reminders two years in a row, Sooz did it in 2018 and Darken did it in 2019. the problem with it is that most peeps are kind of burnt and very few games carry over to the fall season cause there's no real incentive to sort of track and talk about notable games during mid-year.

However, this year we're gonna try and turn it into an event and see how it goes.
Marrend
Rather than set aside an event to suggest Misao categories, how about suggesting them right now? I'm not saying we can't do that this year for the sake of next year's Misaos. However, there is a conversation about the goings-on of this year!
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Sooz
Noticing more games is fun though?

I agree and it really bums me out when I see good games not getting any attention, but maybe Misaos aren't the way to do it.

author=LordBlueRouge
Yeah, we did mid-year reminders two years in a row, Sooz did it in 2018 and Darken did it in 2019. the problem with it is that most peeps are kind of burnt and very few games carry over to the fall season cause there's no real incentive to sort of track and talk about notable games during mid-year.

However, this year we're gonna try and turn it into an event and see how it goes.

Was it by means of a forum topic? I'm more concerned about the lurkers who come and vote but don't hang around the forums much. I thought a banner of some sort on the main page or that showed on all pages could help, but what do I know?

author=Marrend
Rather than set aside an event to suggest Misao categories, how about suggesting them right now? I'm not saying we can't do that this year for the sake of next year's Misaos. However, there is a conversation about the goings-on of this year!

Sounds good, will head there now!
(...but I still like the Misao categories event idea :P )