2022 MISAO NOMINATION MONTHLY DATA

Pages: first 12 next last
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The purpose of this thread is to track 2022 Misao nominations on a monthly basis, and maybe throw a few notable games down for a basis of conversation.

Voting is now COMPLETE!
You may use this link to review the winners and nominees.

January
Total nominations: 0
Notes/Events:
-Nominations closed due to being the voting period for 2021 Misaos
-Seasons of RMN 5

Notable Games
-My Computer Wants to Eat Me?
-Isekai Cowboy (Commercial)
-Concerto
-MARGO - On the Brink
-Ruthless Smile
-Today I Went on a Quest

February
Total nominations: 0 (+0)
Notes/Events:
-Seasons of RMN 5

Notable Games
-I'll Defeat the Monster From the Comfort of My Bed! Powernap Edition
-Decay
-The Secret of Varonis
-A Ghostly Rose (Commercial)
-Izrand Allure
-Aida's Bizzard Halloween
-Crabmania
-Potty Quest
-Before Crisis: Cissnei
-The Alley
-Eternal Remnant: The First Chapter
-5th Era (Commercial)

March
Total nominations: 1 (+1)
Notes/Events:
-Muffle's 1-Dungeon RPG Jam

Notable Games:
-Sophia & Shire
-Super Mario World X
-Ascension - Chronicle of Blackhaven
-The Great Gaias (Commercial)
-Transcendence Legacy - Voidswept (Commercial)
-President Chainsaw (Commercial)
-Yoshi Goes to Tesco
-Slay the Lizard of Lunenburg (and Other Thankless Sidequests)

April
Total nominations: 4 (+3)
Notes/Events:
-RamZ's Last Minute Resource Mak Evento
-RMN Underwater Pixel Quilt

Notable Games:
-Succession: Rise of the Fallen Heir
-Monster World 4 RPG
-Super Mario Death Row 2: Shroomshak Redemption
-Reaper of the Starless Sea
-flatline
-radiolength
-Devil of the Mirror Remake
-Burial
-Paws for Adventure

May
Total nominations: 7 (+3)
Notes/Events:
-None

Notable Games:
-Towelket One More Time 3
-Towelket One More Time 2
-Towelket One More Time
-Stinker's Quest
-Astra Hunter Zosma
-Super Good Boy
-Blackmoon Prophecy Prelude
-One Creek: the house
-Prayer of the Faithless (Commercial)
-SimCabbie

June
Total Nominations: 17 (+10)
Notes/Events:
-15 Years of RMN
-Ranbow of PosTWOvitiy

Notable Games:
-Lobby Loitering
-Final Event XV: The Crystals of Time
-Mechanical Funnies
-Best of All
-Ninth Day Memorial
-Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga (Commercial)
-Delightful Adventure - Enhanced
-Burn Money Get Witches, Sidestory Ed.
-Warm Prism
-Esper Unleashed
-Ocean of Flavor
-The Super Ninjas
-Blue & Iris VS Ghosts

July
Total Nominations: 18 (+1)
Notes/Events:
-None

Notable Games:
-R E A L I T Y (Commercial)
-Maid Sweeper
-Omega Genesis
-Rule of Threes
-Life Eternal
-The Socratic Dialogue
-FIG
-Towelket One More Time 4
-Towelket One More Time 6
-Towelket One More Time Fury

August
Total Nominations: 36 (+18)
Notes/Events:
-Swap in 3 Middle with Who? (playlist)

Notable Games:
-Faded Blue
-Requiem
-Sindorin Inn
-Phina
-A Stolen Love and the Forgotten Promise
-Angelic Virtues
-Cold Front
-Kirby's Firendly Island
-Hand of the Goddess
-Xyz Crossing (Commercial)
-Magyar RM Triad
-Lord of the Rings
-Siam

September
Total Nominations: 89 (+53)
Notes/Events:
-N/A

Notable Games:
-Planet Farm
-Benny + hotgamerdad and the Bajillion DVDs
-Pokemon Nightfall
-Rivals Beyond
-Dormiveglia - A Dreamlike Journey (Commercial)
-Isle of Dread
-Astral Guard - Table Talk
-Fated Thread
-Despoina
-I Got Thrown Into a World That Looks Exactly the Same as Mine, but, There's Nobody Around Anymore, Trying to Figure Out What To Do
-Summoner's Soul
-I Got Reborn as the Demon Queen but I STILL Can't Make Any G*ddamn Friends
-Channel: Home

October
Total Nominations: 93 (+4)
Notes/Events:
-Resurrect the Dying

Notable Games:
-Dearest
-To Aerthen
-Heavenly Matyr
-witch2.rpg
-The Very Brief and Meaningless Adventures of Hero Man
-Mare Deo
-Skolios

November
Total Nominations: 121 (+28)
Notes/Events:
-RMN's Australian Christmas

Notable Games:
-Midnight on the Milky Way
-STREETSAD
-Sweet Middleground 5 - the cave
-Heisei Pistol Show
-Arcanion Chronicles: Demonica (Commercial)
-MOMOinc (Commercial)

December
Total Nominations: 309 (+188)
Notes/Events:
-Secret Santa 2022

Notable Games:
-His Fragile Mind
-Remember
-Towelket One More Time 5
-Sweeter Yesterday
-Tim-Tim2 2 (Commercial)
Marrend
Nominations were unfortunately closed for the majority of February, so, that's likely why the count is still 0. For what it's worth coming from me, I apologize. However, they are active now! March was a pretty good month last year, so, maybe that will hold true this year as well?
Yeah, that was on me. I thought I'd turned them on but apparently forgot to submit properly. >.<;
Marrend
Thanks for those suggestions! I'll have them in the OP by the next update.
Marrend
March games/numbers are up! This month we had one nomination!

I'm honestly not sure what to think/feel about this. There might not be enough data to go on, but, I have to wonder if the fact that nominations weren't available in February made people think we just weren't going to do it this year? I dunno. I kinda hope things pick up next month.
Marrend
April's numbers/games are up! I'm really not sure what to make of these low nomination counts. Though, if you compare the actual change in nomination count with last year's data, April's value might be with a reasonable variance?
Marrend
I totally forgot about putting up May's nomination value, so I took the nomination count for today as May. Welp.

The nomination count, itself, is still pretty low overall. In comparison to last year, the month of May saw less than half nominations this year than before. Kinda disheartening, but, I suppose this is a "control" year where we see how many nominations we get when the site doesn't specifically push this stuff.

Though, I find it somewhat hilarious that the front page still has voting for last year's Misaos up, and that should be well closed at this point.
Marrend
June numbers are out!

I swear, I will get one of these monthly updates on time this year. For what it's worth, yesterday was pretty crazy on multiple fronts.
Marrend
July numbers are out!

I know I wanted to make the update a touch earlier this month, and the increase in nominations from last month make me fairly confident that it won't change too much. Though, the overall number of nominations is still a little worrying that this year will not be as competitive as previous years.

For reference purposes, the lowest vote-count goes to 2009's Misaos, with 737 votes cast. I don't know how many nominations there were that year, but, if the nominations for this year so far are any indication, this year could have an even lower vote-count. Though, the site records might not reflect that if we're doing external voting again for this year.
I'd suggest a couple more;
I think these are worth checking out!

The Super Ninja Deluxe + - 07/24/2022
Omega Genesis - 07/27/2022
FIG - 07/24/2022
The Socratic Dialogue - 06/25/2022
5th Era - 07/29/2022 (commercial/demo)
Marrend
I appreciate bringing those games to my attention, but, the number of games to nominate really isn't the issue I'm concerned with. It's the number of overall nominations made. I'm part of that problem too, so, perhaps I'm being hypocritical here ;_;

That said, this thread being on the front page (thanks, Frogge!) may direct some people towards that direction! We'll see!
author=Marrend
I appreciate bringing those games to my attention, but, the number of games to nominate really isn't the issue I'm concerned with. It's the number of overall nominations made.

DAMN! I totally forgot to nominate! Lol... looks like I m part of the problem.
Anyway now I made some, still uncertain for some categories
Marrend
I keep forgetting to update this thread on the last day of each month. ;_;

Anyway, August numbers are up! The month saw 18 nominations, incrementing our annual total this year to 36! Comparing to last year, the value of how many nominations were cast in August is similar. The next couple months were pretty heavy nomination months last year. Will they be again this year? Only time will tell.

Hopefully, I'll update the thread on time, though. >_<

CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob

My nominations at the moment! I don't know if it's against the rules to reveal your votes like this, but hopefully it might inspire some people to check some games out. Some good 'uns here :)

My Computer Wants to Eat Me? by WrathOfWood was a very trippy 3D maze simulator with a bunch of Yume Nikki-like stuff. Great game title in my opinion, but if not that, my runaway contender for "Trippiest Game".

SimCabbie by UPRC was a lovely game jam game that felt like an experiment using SimCity tiles for a taxi simulation experience. Really great. Cute game profile vibe too, and legitimately impressive technicality-wise. It also is a great lawsuit waiting to happen, since it uses SimCity tiles and music.

Life Eternal has some gorgeous visuals. They're all Ronove originals too, as far as I can tell!

Hand of the Goddess is my pick for GOTY so far. I know it's quite a short game jam game, but I can't pick anything else right now that I've played so far that deserves it more. It's a unique and short parable with a great significance. If something else pops up that really impresses me more, I'll switch over.

DZ and Riggy vs the World(s) by UPRC is truly one of the most challenging and vast games submitted. I actually haven't played it, but I've watched hours of different people on Twitch like riggy2k3, dzpg1 and MikeyBlighe struggling through it... extremely entertaining watching them swear over and over again in frustration! It's also very long, too. Lots of content for the "Everlasting Journey" award.

Yoshi Goes to Tesco by Frogge is a shitpost game but it's really funny. Very punny and funny and I like that it exists. I also just love Frogge. For that, I also nominated it for Best Non-English Game and Most Promising Demo, even though it's not... either of those. But I didn't have anything to put there anyway.

A Stolen Love and the Forgotten Promise by Fomar0153 and Indra... is my new favourite game by them! I'm actually surprised I didn't nominate them for more awards. It was actually close to winning my GOTY nom, but that might change, because this and Hand of the Goddess are pretty equal for my favourites, it's just that Hand of the Goddess edged over it by a little bit right now. But on another day, I might nominate A Stolen Love. It certainly seems to be the much more conventionally fun and entertaining game, and a more "meatier" one, but I don't know. We'll see how that changes of the course of the next 3 months.

And that's all my nominations!
Marrend
Thanks for the screencap of your nominations, and the mini-reviews, Cash!
What determines whether a game is eligible for an award? To be specific, why does the checkbox for Sleeping Beetle Ninja appear for The Alley, which has 395 downloads, but not Sophia & Shire, which has 33? Also, Soma Union has a working Nominate button despite coming out last year and already winning awards?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=gorha
What determines whether a game is eligible for an award? To be specific, why does the checkbox for Sleeping Beetle Ninja appear for The Alley, which has 395 downloads, but not Sophia & Shire, which has 33? Also, Soma Union has a working Nominate button despite coming out last year and already winning awards?

That Sleeping Beetle Ninja award thing seems like a bug, but as for Soma Union, the site is programmed as such to accept nominations for any game with a download version uploaded this year, regardless of status. This is because Sgt M uploaded v1.0.7 and v1.0.8 this year.
Marrend
I should specify that a game that existed prior to the current year has to add a download link to qualify said game for the current year's Misaos. If Sgt M updated an old download link to Soma Union, it would not qualify. This is also how Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening achieved Misaos in multiple years.

Comparing between the gamepages of Sophia & Shire and The Alley, the only difference I can detect is that Sophia & Shire is not flagged as "complete"? I'll have to compare against other gamepages to see if this difference is consistent to say with more certainly.

*Edit: After viewing five or so games that are in production and have a download that were also able to be nominated none of them have the option to nominate for the "Sleeping Beetle Ninja" award. This makes me consider that this "bug" might be on purpose. Though, I can only theorize as to possible reasons why it might have been implemented this way.
OK, thanks for the info. Thinking about it some more, it kinda makes sense - a lot of people probably wouldn't be interested in incomplete games, so the award is meant for games that were finished but still didn't get much attention, I guess. I noticed that Best Short Game also doesn't appear for games not marked as complete, and again, kinda makes sense since a short game could be longer once it's finished. But yeah, that's just speculation.
Pages: first 12 next last